German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the third day in a row now, I go out to scoop the poop in the morning and late evening with my dogs. I am finding lots of broken glass all over the yard. Someone is throwing glass splinters and fragments into the yard. It is thin glass like from a broken window.

Luckily no one's gotten hurt yet. I spent two hours yesterday picking up all the glass. We have neighbors on two sides who we are on bad terms with. One neighbor really hates our dogs. He is a slimeball too. So is the other neighbor. I don't know if it's them though. There is an alley behind our yard and anyone could have driven or walked up there and tossed some glass out into the yard and that's the part where most of the glass was.

I am thinking of getting a video surveillance system for the front and back. There are a lot of low lifes in this town (it's a prison town and a lot of the ones who get out don't go far).

Anyone have recommendations on this type of system? Do they come in infrared? Motion detection? Without breaking the bank? I've seen some at Sam's Club that aren't too expensive.

Tomorrow I have to testify as a key witness in a negligent homicide trial against this guy who is related to half the county and I'm wondering if that has something to do with this. I called the deputy whom I gave my written statement to originally, who assured me the local police force would be behind me 100%, and he has not returned my call. That's reassuring, yea right.

So I am mad and suspicious. My DH is frothing at the mouth at the thought of someone trying to harm our dogs or any of our charges. He says I should buy a gun which I do not want to do as I would shake too much to use it if an occasion came up that warranted this.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I don't really have any advice to offer. The video surveillnace would allow to see what is going on out there. I would be vigilant about checking the yard too.

I hope the trial goes well and you can put this behind you and be safe.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
That is a tough one.
Keep checking you yard.
Hope everything will be ok and it just is icky knowing someone might be trying to hurt your dogs

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
My DH company is a security camera/access control co. PM me if there is something he can help with (suggest a system, answer any questions, etc)

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm assuming your dogs aren't ever left unattended in the yard? Just in case they aren't, I have to say it - keep them inside!
(Not to state the obvious, but I can't help myself.) Also, keep an eye out for tainted meat and stuff, too. Not to mention, be careful and watch your own back! I hope everything goes ok in court - please be careful.

I would also contact the cops and make some kind of statement in writing. Walk in and file a report. If for some reason they don't help you, write a letter or statement and mail it to them - do it so it has to be signed for, so nobody can later claim "We never got your letter." Of course, keep a copy, maybe cc: your attorney, if you have one. I would be the biggest squeaky wheel the police dept ever dealt with - it sounds like you and your family are possibly in danger. Please be careful and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Originally Posted By: KodeeGirlI'm assuming your dogs aren't ever left unattended in the yard? Just in case they aren't, I have to say it - keep them inside!
(Not to state the obvious, but I can't help myself.) Also, keep an eye out for tainted meat and stuff, too. Not to mention, be careful and watch your own back! I hope everything goes ok in court - please be careful.
So second that

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Yikes sorry to hear that, hubby and I would probably stay up all night keeping an eye out to catch the bugger and have him charged and also have cameras up and recording. I would never leave the dogs outside unattended (Jesse is never outside without one of us). I would probably move if it was happening to me. I am lucky all my neighbours love Jesse.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I agree with Kodeegirl 100% about keeping your babies inside. Your babies have nothing to do with inhumane neighbors and/or strangers.

I would hate to see them getting hurt. If glass has not hurt them yet a piece of poisoned beef might be their next step.

I would definetely keep my eyes really open and get security cameras and all it takes for you all to be safe. Do it before it's too late.

Good luck and please protect your babies, it is certain they are being targeted.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I would try and work with the Police on this one. Our departmentrt does a good job, and living in a low crime neighborhood they would be helpful.

Despite not returning your call, perhaps it would be a good idea to visit them, of course solely related to the vandalism on your property.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I'm with everyone else in saying you need to NEVER leave your dogs in the yard unattended.

If you think the glass is bad, it just takes a second to throw over some meat with poison into the yard. And you'll have no idea what's up when your dog(s) then get sick later in the day/week.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Being in law enforcement, I will agree with some of the suggestions. If things are truly ugly and possibly soon to get uglier, I'd try to be out with the dogs at all times. When you do take them out, you should do a "perimeter check" for nasty foreign items. What could start out as pieces of glass could be elevated to tainted food (not just meet but antifreeze tainted dry food) If you find any other objects in your yard, take a picture of the items on the ground including a close-up of the item(s) and picture of where they are located in the yard, use a baggy to pick them up and report it to the police (vandalism). Keep notes of the dates and time of day you are finding these objects, which can help the police. Squeaky wheel does tend to get the oil... If you find what could possibly be tainted food call the police immediately and leave it where it is unless the police cannot come to you. If the police don't seem to respond to a call, go there and file a report on the spot and take along any items you have found. Though the police can poo poo the glass shards, tainted food shows intent to harm (which I hope you never have to deal with). I grew up in a small town and know how sometimes a police force can seem to be uncaring, but in reality, is overworked.

If you truly feel your safety is in jeopardy, by all means look into a security system (interior and video exterior). I don't know if you have a privacy fence around your backyard, and if you don't, that could be something else you might want to look into.

Good luck and let us know how things are going. You can never be too careful.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
a camera system sounds good. get motion detectors so the yard lights up if some enters your yard. don't let the dogs out without checking your yard first.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Any way you can move?

Live is too short to spend on such battles...

Tanya

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all. I did get a return call this morning and was excused from going tomorrow, it's been postponed, couldn't make out the message really so not sure why, something about a higher court? Oh great. So I will talk to him about this then as well.

We do leave 3 of the dogs out for several hours at a time but I am always right by the window listening to them. It's important for them to be able to play and run around, that's why we bought this house, because of the yard for the dogs. That's why I want a video surveillance system, so I can keep an eye on them while they're out and have it running when we're gone. I am here most of the time. We do stay up all night every night anyway and I always do perimeter checks because I am scooping up all the poop.

I will definitely photograph anything else I find. I don't know if this is related to the legal matter or not, it seems coincedental. Our 1 neighbor hates our dog a lot, the collie/pointerX because whenever he sees someone on the other side of the fence, no matter who it is, even us, he bays at them like he's just treed a raccoon.

One year the neighbor's kid was shooting squirrels in our backyard with a BB gun. By the time we found out, it had stopped. I have also caught this brat throwing things at the dog and his father once yelled at DH saying he's tried to be nice to the dog, even fed him and DH told him 'don't you ever feed my dogs.'

Moving is not possible, financially or otherwise. We love our house and otherwise are very happy here. We have talked about planting bamboo alongside the fence for privacy, it grows tall and fast and we could use it for other stuff too.

This could also be related to something else. I run a rescue and recently got a call about someone trying to rehome their animals who were being kept outside in metal cages during a heatwave, were dying of dehydration and other stuff. I went to assess them and photographed them, with her permission and then I called animal control (this is another county) and filed a complaint. Maybe it is retribution from that, she could have tracked me down. They seized her animals which turned out great for them and they are all safe now.

So we are kind of used to having enemies because we just don't turn our heads away when we see suffering.

DSudd, I will PM you later for info when I get home from the shelter.

We could have sued our neighbor's mother years ago when we moved here. She used to own this house, not who we bought it from though, and she was the selling agent when we bought it. When we signed the sales contract, she did not divulge that not only was the house in foreclosure, it had an auction date! It was a huge mess. We could have sued her for everything she's got but since her daughter lives next door, we didn't want to have a feud going on. I wonder what the statute of limitations is on that? Plus at closing, after the sellers left, they had forgotten to sign something and she just forged their signatures! Unbelievable.

Anyway, some day we might move but we don't want to and there's always another jerk somewhere else. It's like quitting one job because you hate your boss, you'll just hate the next one too, or if you like them, then they quit and get one you hate. I think we need to deal with problem through what legal channels and technology are available to us.

The dogs are always inside when I leave of course.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Quote:We do leave 3 of the dogs out for several hours at a time
Quote: the collie/pointerX because whenever he sees someone on the other side of the fence, no matter who it is, even us, he bays at them like he's just treed a raccoon.
I love dogs, but this would drive me bonkers. You have a right to your home and yard, but I have the right to peace and quiet. Is it possible that maybe your dogs DO make more noise than you think? Maybe the homes are close together and poorly insulated, letting in all the noise of play (and a lot of dogs don't play quietly). Your neighbors definitely don't sound good and I absolutely would get a security system, but at this point I think it would be extremely unwise to leave them outside for several hours at a time unless you are right outside with them and actively keeping them quiet.

Try some "hybrid willow" trees- they grow about 6-12 feet per year (not kidding, we had them in Wisconsin) and also some thorny hedges (dissuades intruders), but also keep your dogs inside unless you're outside with them. All it takes is for your neighbor to spark the idea of dog food + antifreeze or rat poison, and you being inside will miss it all.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's only the collie/pointerX who barks a lot. It's the Pointer in him. As soon as I hear him barking at the neighbor (he has a certain bark for people, different one for other dogs), I go out and call him and he immediately stops and comes over to me, all the dogs know to not bother the neighbors. They know to shut up when they're told. We have told the neighbors too that we will always do this if we hear him going off. But it's not like the neighbors are always outside. We have told them if we see they're having company or are hanging out, we will keep him and the rest of them in, and we do.

The guy is just a jerk and these are bad people. They have an unneutered cat running around the neighborhood making lots of kittens and they had litters of kittens living under their shed for a while and then they just trap them and dump them at the shelter. They also have an obnoxious dog too, a little Chihuahua who seems to live on their deck and yaps all the time, sometimes all night. It doesn't really bother us but the dog seems neglected.

They've gone through little dogs like this too. They run off and get killed in the street, once they had a chihuahua mix who was running loose and had a seizure and I grabbed him and he died in my arms. Then the people denied he was their dog to the ACO I called. Now they have this new dog. He's like the third or fourth dog they've gone through in 6 years. They suck. I think they taunt my one dog, but I really don't see that guy, who is a self-proclaimed BA Christian (although he cheats on his wife) doing anything malicious. He's not smart enough to think of something like that. Until just a month ago, their backyard looked like a trash dump but now they've cleaned it all up. Maybe they are going to sell and move. I hope!

I am definitely getting an inside/outside surveillance system. Tonight coming home from the shelter, I saw a gang of teenagers on bicycles hanging out by the stop sign and I heard them say something about me. They are trouble.

You know what would be cool is one of those camera setups they use to take pictures of wildlife when they're walking by? That's exactly what I need. I bet I could rig that up LOL.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Quote:We do leave 3 of the dogs out for several hours at a time but I am always right by the window listening to them. It's important for them to be able to play and run around, that's why we bought this house, because of the yard for the dogs.
While I do NOT condone the glass or poison as a way to fix issues with neighbor dogs.....

I DO know that it's not uncommon for frustrated neighbors to resort to these methods. I just recently was reminded of this by my neighbors, and I don't even have a fenced in yard and also never leave my dogs out when I'm not home. What I DO is have my door open to my deck and my dogs will bark at passerbyers. They always stop after a few seconds, and always when I come see what's up. What I hadn't realized is the fact that 2 big loud scary SEEMING GSD's on a deck was preventing some of my neighbors with smaller dogs from passing my house cause it was so upsetting to owners and dogs.

So the fact my dogs don't DO anything to the dog/owner. And would never jump the deck or cause a problem is something I know but doesn't help my neighbors. Reality turned out to be some people didn't feel safe walking past my house.

So now I'm trying to be a RESPONSIBLE dog owner and a good neighbor. I still am always home when the dogs are on the deck but I also get up immediately when the bark and silence them immediately. So people passing by are assured by my presence and control over the dogs and no longer afraid to pass.

And while the barking wasn't bothering ME, clearly it was other people. So if I need to be more careful and vigilent to be a considerate neighbor, than so be it. And if there was any additional threat of angry neighbors injuring my dogs when I could have done something earlier to prevent it, then I would never forgive MYSELF.... Doesn't do me any good to be right if my dogs are seriously injured or even dead.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We're not talking about your average neighbor here. These people and their family committed fraud against us during the sale of our house.

Also, like I said it's not our GSDs who are the annoying barkers. It's our cute little 55lb collie/pointer mix.

I am always out with Jessie (GSD) because she'll jump the fence otherwise. Once when DH was selling our old Honda and showing it to someone out front, she jumped the fence and ran and jumped in the front seat and the prospective buyer turned around and saw her sitting in the front seat and they had a good laugh cause she's so goofy.

When Rocky (GSD) is out, he always has the Kong biscuit ball in his mouth every minute, so he can't bark with that in his mouth but he will growl and munch on the ball if he sees a cat.

Lots of people walk by our house with their dogs and Mac barks at them all and they all admire him, everyone in the neighborhood knows who Mac is, and the GSDs, and us. The GSDs never bark at anyone, they don't care about anything but playing ball. The Schip barks at cats and dogs but he's just a squirt and intimidating to no one. Mac is a very pretty boy and when he's barking like that, it is kind of odd because he's so unscary and cute.

You can't really even see my dogs from the street anyway, just for a glimpse.

It's my neighbor's dog who is the one in danger of dying of neglect, which has happened before, not my dogs.

I just remembered actually posting a while ago about when we first got Rocky and there was a gang of teenagers in the back alley making fun of him one night saying he looked 'gay' and 'feminine' the way he catches the ball. And then he heard them and charged them and let out a bunch of growls that were quite intimidating sounding. It is probably them and I saw a gang of teenagers hanging out down the block tonight on the way home.

This is summertime stuff, kids on the street bored with nothing to do. Tomorrow I talk to the deputy and will ask him to make the police presence more noticeable around my house like he originally promised.

But I still will get the security system. We had an armed robbery by some teenagers two blocks away not long ago.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts