German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been reading up on Policys on Deposits and it kind of shocked me.

I've read on here that they usually are non-refundable and sometimes they only allow 48 hours to pick up the puppy.

Want to know how it worked with me getting Indra?

I called the breeder and he safed her for me until I could come and check her out myself. So I drove 6 hours, checked her out and he put her on hold for me. NO SECURITY DEPOSIT!

6 weeks later I went there and picked her up.

I do not know any breeders in Germany that demand a non-refundable security deposit.

Doesn't matter how good the breeder would be, if he would only allow me 48 hours to come and pick up my puppy after I've made the security deposit I would not buy from him.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
well I"ve never heard of the 48 hour thing here in the states after giving a deposit.

And yes, alot of breeders take and want deposits (whether it's refundable or not is up to them), in order to hold a possible puppy. I can certainly see the reasoning for having non refundable deposits.

Say, you have joe public call wants a puppy, says yeah hold one for me, breeder says ok, then at 8 weeks, says "no I changed my mind", in the mean time, that breeder may have told 5 other people 'no i have no puppies', so they've gone elsewhere, now breeder is rather 'stuck' with said puppy.

Deposits also show good faith on the part of the buyer.

I have never heard of giving a deposit and then requiring the puppy to be picked up within 48 hours. Most deposits are given, prior to birth, after birth, prior to that 8 week age when they are starting to leave.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The breeder we used asked for only a $100 deposit for good faith and to hold my place in the litter; we got 2nd pick. They then set a date in the future that seemed to work for everyone and set a pick-up schedule with 1 hour intervals between buyers. It worked fairly well.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I agree with the deposit and also see why some use the non-refundable rule. But I can't think of a good reason for the 48 hour rule.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't know if I agree with deposit not being refundable. Four years ago I went to view some puppies there were 3 left and the breeder asked me which one I wanted I saw this big fella bigger than the other two when I picked him she said sure you can have him and then told me that some-one had chosen him and put a deposit down on him but had not been in touch since, that could have been for one of a hundred reasons I can't see why some-one who puts a deposit down just "throwing money away" and it was a substantial deposit as well.

·
Registered
936 Posts
our deposit was to just hold a pick spot on the list. Never heard of the 48 hour thing. In fact our breeder worked with our schedule for picking up the pup since it is a 10 hour drive.

·
Registered
537 Posts
We deposited $1,000. for Mia. The deposit could be used for an other litter if for some reason we changed out mind about the puppy in this litter. Mia was 3 weeks old at the time. We went back at 6 weeks for a visit (and confirm) and picked her up at 8 weeks, 4 days, where we paid the other half (choke!). Not unusaul for Southern Calif.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
The breeder we used asked for only a $100 deposit for good faith and to hold my place in the litter; we got 2nd pick. They then set a date in the future that seemed to work for everyone and set a pick-up schedule with 1 hour intervals between buyers. It worked fairly well.
Very similiar experience with our breeder. We were on a waiting list, when the puppies were born she required a $300.00 deposit. She worked with us on our schedule (we also drove several hrs one way). The buyers were spreadout and it worked out well. We were not rushed, she went over alot of things about the puppy (health, food, training, care tips, etc.) and answered all of our questions.

I also am not sure of the 48 hr policy? unless the breeder is allowing buyers to pick their puppies and they want to move the process along quickly...but again, not sure?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts