German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to know what you do to secure your dogs if you are minivan owner. I have a 2005 Grand Caravan...the cargo area is 48 inches wide. Currently, I use a hard plastic crate and a canvas foldable crate (which is flexible and therefore makes room for the plastic one). All plastic crates are too wide...I started looking at wire crates, specifically the Midwest SUV crates that measure 21" wide. They would work, but I am concerned that Grace would be a tight fit in one.

So...I am debating on using an x-pen with a wire top...I actually have one already (and know they fit in it together fine), but keep it up at our cabin. I could secure it with tie-downs...

Has anyone ever tried this? Or I welcome any other ideas! Wish I was rich and could get custom fit super strong crates!

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Your flexible crate isn't a good idea. I'd go for doggy seat belts. I am a Rough Rider Roadie (old style) fan myself. I have a regular cab 1/2 ton ford. No air bags. I built a platform for the passenger side. cover it with a mat and can seatbelt two GSDs in the front and still have room for the driver.
Seat belts and harnesses give you a lot of flexibility.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I use wire crates. I usually secure them together and when I get my cargo liner in place, will finally secure them to the seat and childseat anchors.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in complete agreement about the foldable crate...hence, my reasoning for making a change
It is useless for anything other than containment while driving...definitely offers no safety, which is my primary reason for crating them. (They previously rode free in the van.)

And I should have mentioned that doggy seat belts will not work...my Grace pretty much panics in them.

I will look into wire crates further...I wish one of the stores had around here had an SUV crate that I could put Grace into and see how she fits...Kira is little so no problem there lol!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I have the midwest SUV crates in my minivan. My dogs are smaller, about 60 pounds, but using the large size crates, the dog only takes up a corner of them. So, it depends on how big your dogs are.

Maybe you could meet up with somebody using them and test them out.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
We have a Honda Odyssey. I use strength-tested type of dog seatbelts for my dogs in the car.

I would not recommend an x-pen or flexible crate. They will provide no protection in an accident.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts