German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I really appreciate the last couple posts especially. I am realizing that we might not have chosen the best breeder, BUT, we really might have gotten an extra nervy pup out of a decent litter. We love him, he's a goofy sweety with us, and great with the kids. I must say, I'm not sure what exactly is meant by possession games, but I'll look it up. I need to put away his ball and kong, and tug toy. I have 2 teens who like to pick up a toy and play with him, so I'll have to talk with them about that. Maybe a squeaky toy as a special reward toy might be good, he's crazy about them, but we never buy them.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
So, crate him then? That's definitely an option, but they will be highly offended (they are "dog people" who don't really know that much about dog behavior). Also, we go there, with the dogs for the holidays. We can bring the crate and keep him locked up, but it won't set well with the in-laws.
I have a sister in law who was horrified by me putting Shadow in her crate. I don't care. My dog, my rules.
You need to stand your ground and advocate for your dog.
I had a brother in law who flat out told me no crate in his house. I simply agreed and stated that I would stay elsewhere. He gave in.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Do people honestly think that before domestication came around, wild dogs just keep moving nonstop from one spot to another? Never needing downtime, never needing to sleep or whelp pups? Where did they sleep? In a den. A secure area with one way in, one way out. That is what we recreate with a crate. It’s not torture or punishment, and I’ve never had a dog that didn’t willing go in and nap on their own during the day.

Tell your in-laws that the dog must be crated, or you will be staying elsewhere.

·
Registered
72 Posts
:surprise:“ The choke collar is what I would use for the correction. He reacts, you lift up on the collar”

Please do not do this to your dog.

Your dog is still very much a puppy. He has entered his adolescence months, but he’s a puppy. Cruelty should *never* pass for training, particularly with a puppy. You may (likely will) shut your pup down. That’s not training. You won’t get the stable reliable adult dog you want.

We can train dogs through fear without corrections. I’ve done it. Many of have.

I messaged you info on trainers you can consider using, people I have used and respect as trainers.

Importantly, these are folks I do not hesitate to drop off my puppy at their homes for a week and am certain that I would get a bounding confident happy dog when I pick him up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
:surprise:“ The choke collar is what I would use for the correction. He reacts, you lift up on the collar”

Please do not do this to your dog.

Your dog is still very much a puppy. He has entered his adolescence months, but he’s a puppy. Cruelty should *never* pass for training, particularly with a puppy. You may (likely will) shut your pup down. That’s not training. You won’t get the stable reliable adult dog you want.

We can train dogs through fear without corrections. I’ve done it. Many of have.

I messaged you info on trainers you can consider using, people I have used and respect as trainers.

Importantly, these are folks I do not hesitate to drop off my puppy at their homes for a week and am certain that I would get a bounding confident happy dog when I pick him up.

So using a choke collar is cruelty? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Any equipment being used incorrectly can become cruelty. Even a basic flat collar, your hands, and verbally overcorrecting while angry.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I do appreciate all of the training advice I've gotten. My original question of wether this is a socialization fear issue, or a problem with weak nerves still keeps me up at night. It seems to be mostly weak nerves, but I get told it's a training issue and that makes me wonder. I have another question now. I might think about returning him. The breeder does not offer any temperment guarentee (I thought they did, but I was wrong) but they will take dogs back, no refund. How would any of you bring that up to a breeder? Just looking for a good way to say it. I have brought up concerns about his fear several times, but she always said it's just me, not him. This is very hard for me to write, we love him very much, we just don't know if we can live with a dog like this. BTW, new behavior, he is resisting corrections, is that common adolescent behavior?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I do appreciate all of the training advice I've gotten. My original question of wether this is a socialization fear issue, or a problem with weak nerves still keeps me up at night. It seems to be mostly weak nerves, but I get told it's a training issue and that makes me wonder. I have another question now. I might think about returning him. The breeder does not offer any temperment guarentee (I thought they did, but I was wrong) but they will take dogs back, no refund. How would any of you bring that up to a breeder? Just looking for a good way to say it. I have brought up concerns about his fear several times, but she always said it's just me, not him. This is very hard for me to write, we love him very much, we just don't know if we can live with a dog like this. BTW, new behavior, he is resisting corrections, is that common adolescent behavior?
It is a nerve issue. My older Malinois is very socially-stable, friendly to people, kids, dogs, even cats. We've had kids rushed up to us at parks, didn't bother her at all. Granted, I've done a lot of conditioning on her since she was a puppy, but at the end, she just has good nerves.

If you are seriously thinking about returning him, I would just be honest with the breeder and tell him/her that his temperament is not suitable for your family's lifestyle/needs. I would opt for returning him sooner than later, there is a higher chance he can find a good home when he is still a puppy.

What kind of corrections are you giving him? What are the corrections for?

41 - 48 of 48 Posts