German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am Charles, I have a Three Year old German Shepherd named Duke. I am currently deployed, and my sister currently is taking care of my boy for me while I am gone for 9 months. During the past 6 months my dog and sisters dog have been together, and become great friends. Her dog is a portuguese water dog. I am concerned that when I get home and we seperate them that he will be lonley afer such a long time bonding and living with another dog. They share everything, and play together all the time happily. What I am considering is a second german shepherd for my home. Duke is great with all dogs, and goes to doggie day care a few times a week to keep him happy and burn off some energy. Doggie Day care is not available where I live, several hours from my sisters place.

Just curious what the group here recommends.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Get a dog when YOU are ready and able for a new dog - not solely as a playmate for an existing dog. The new dog is a completely separate entity and you need to devote the same attention to it that you give to the other dog. Get one when you are ready and have the time for a second dog - how many more deployments? Will you be moving? What if the new one and old one start to dislike each other? There are many variables and the biggest one should be why do YOU need a new dog - not if your dog needs a new dog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I have always considered having a second dog, the idea just came up when I saw how well bonded he was with my sisters. My sister and her family have discussed and agreed that if i deploy again that they would take both for the deployment. I will definately be at my current home for the next 2 years at a minimum, I have plenty of space, and can afford to support a second dog.

My biggest fear is the personality of a second dog and them not getting along.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
My biggest fear is the personality of a second dog and them not getting along.
This is why I would make sure the first dog is solid in terms of training, socialization, etc before considering a new one. And when you do consider a new dog, get one that is suited well for you and your needs while being able to integrate well into your home. For example, you should probably go with a female as same sex aggression tends to be an issue. Find a breeder aware of your house and pack dynamics that would match you up with a second dog that would fit in well with your family. In spite of all that, they still might end up not liking each other - you must prepare yourself for this by setting up a game plan about what you will do if they do not get along. Will you rehome? Crate, separate, and rotate? What about if you your sister has to care for two dogs that don't like each other? Will they be able to separate and contain properly? Some points of consideration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do appreciate the advice, thats why I am on here. It is good to hear the things to consider and think about...and not rush into such a serious decision. I do have plenty of time for that! Thank you for taking time to respond and giving me things to think about.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
No problem - most likely, with your diligence and forethought into the decision, you will find the right fit for your family and the two dog dynamic will be fine if you do it right and work hard. But there are lots of points to consider as it is never a 100% guarantee with living beings!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Only get a second dog if you want to get a second dog and can handle it. We had to put our male down back in February and our female had been with him since she was 12 weeks old. After leaving my inlaws and getting back into our own place, she was an only dog. She's been perfectly fine as such. We just recently (3 days ago actually) got a puppy. She could care less. She'll play with him but she's also just not that interested. She was bonded to our other male and no issues.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Thank you for your service. Make sure there are no more deployments in your future before getting another dog. Most GSD are independent so they don't need a companion. My mom owns Fiona's sister. Fiona and Gilda play together when get together. Longest time was 45 days. But both were just as happy when back on their own.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts