German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a GSD girl and want a second dog. I want a male. But I made the experience that a GSD male shows x time a day his lipstick when he sit. (the puppy shows over 20 times) please not laugh
My dog lives inside and the seconds should also.
How is your experice with a GSD male. Are they show also often when they are older? I have only experience with other breeds. I think that is a GSD problem. I haver seen a labrador or other with this problem.

A breeder said that two grils arent so good.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yeah, having two girls is generally not a good idea. Same sex aggression can be nasty, and females tend to be worse than males in that respect.

As far as “showing”, yeah, my male does constantly. He can’t help it, and it really isn’t sexual. It is what it is. If you don’t feel comfortable with it, I wouldn’t recommend a male unless you can get over it. Or maybe someone else with experience with neutered males can come along and say it doesn’t happen often once neutered? I’m not sure. My boy is intact.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as “showing”, yeah, my male does constantly. He can’t help it, and it really isn’t sexual. It is what it is. If you don’t feel comfortable with it, I wouldn’t recommend a male unless you can get over it. Or maybe someone else with experience with neutered males can come along and say it doesn’t happen often once neutered? I’m not sure. My boy is intact.
How old is he? How do you have accepted?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Neutered dog owner here. Though he's never been a 'humper,' no difference since he been neutered. He's almost 3 now. It's a natural thing.

·
Super Moderator
6,996 Posts
my boys are/were both neutered... i can’t recall Tilden ever showing his lipstick in 13yrs. although he was a long coat, i would have still been able to see it. i see Keystones once or twice a year, just the tip, when sitting.

all of that said.... are you comfortable with other aspects of male anatomy and behavior? aside from “showing”, they get erections, they lick themselves, testicles dangle....they may lift their legs to pee, mount or air hump.

just sayin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my boys are/were both neutered... i can’t recall Tilden ever showing his lipstick in 13yrs. although he was a long coat, i would have still been able to see it. i see Keystones once or twice a year, just the tip, when sitting.

all of that said.... are you comfortable with other aspects of male anatomy and behavior? aside from “showing”, they get erections, they lick themselves, testicles dangle....they may lift their legs to pee, mount or air hump.

just sayin.
No that isnt a Problem for me. I had 4 male rats they have big testicles. I had rabbits only males they are humping also.
I only had male animals.
Are your both GSDs long hair?
Maby this will be the solution for me.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
No that isnt a Problem for me. I had 4 male rats they have big testicles. I had rabbits only males they are humping also.
I only had male animals.
If you’re hoping a long haired dog will hide the male anatomy and erections, I really really wouldn’t bet on that. I knew a maremma that had long hair, and it did nothing to prevent you from seeing what comes naturally to males. I don’t think you’ll be able to hide it and will just have to live with it if you want a male dog.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The solution is get over it! They are animals! If you get a male you're going to see their penis, they have no other way to groom themselves.

The good news is, they do it all the time, so you get so used to it, you don't even notice anymore!

·
Super Moderator
6,996 Posts
I only had male animals.
Only Tilden had a long coat... although he wasn’t a “shower”, I could still very clearly see his parts if I was in front of him while sitting or laying his back.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have an un-neutered male, and I can honestly say this has never been an issue for me. It’s normal. I wouldn’t let that aspect deter me from getting a male.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To See the parts and other are not the problem. I write here about the red rocket and my experience wirh a GSD puppy that showed me the red rocket more than 20 times a day.

·
Super Moderator
6,996 Posts
To See the parts and other are not the problem. I write here about the red rocket and my experience wirh a GSD puppy that showed me the red rocket more than 20 times a day.
No, I’ve never experienced an adult dog show his red rocket more than 20 times a day or any amount that’s remotely close to that.

if you want a male dog, accept that it’s a possibility, although highly unlikely.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'm a bit confused why you're concerned, but not with other male anatomical things. It's not a bad thing, especially if they're grooming themselves.

(Neb once licked the outside of his penis raw, I took him to the vet, who diagnosed him with a build up of smegma and asked how often I cleaned his smegma up...uh, WHAT? I have three male dogs, I do NOT clean their smegma, but maybe other people do? In any event, lipstick is rare in our house)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm a bit confused why you're concerned, but not with other male anatomical things. It's not a bad thing, especially if they're grooming themselves.

(Neb once licked the outside of his penis raw, I took him to the vet, who diagnosed him with a build up of smegma and asked how often I cleaned his smegma up...uh, WHAT? I have three male dogs, I do NOT clean their smegma, but maybe other people do? In any event, lipstick is rare in our house)
I have not say i cant live with the lipstick but not in this intensity. He shows when he was sitting. I had an problem with my rabbid. He exit on the top of the cage and had become blue testicles...i must bathe the testicles every day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts