German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight was the second class in a series of 6. The class is for reactive dogs, and Rocky was in fine form. He barked a LOT again, but less than last time. He gets himself so worked up, that the techniques the teacher has us do with him are ineffective. When we are home, and I do the same techniques, he performs very well, but when he's riled up about other dogs, it just is crazy to expect him to do well. But, we try, and he will get better, but for now, it is a bit discouraging.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Tonight was the second class in a series of 6. The class is for reactive dogs, and Rocky was in fine form. He barked a LOT again, but less than last time. He gets himself so worked up, that the techniques the teacher has us do with him are ineffective. When we are home, and I do the same techniques, he performs very well, but when he's riled up about other dogs, it just is crazy to expect him to do well. But, we try, and he will get better, but for now, it is a bit discouraging.
You can't just go to class (overwhelming to him) and then practice at home (completely UNDERwhelming) to work on this.

You need to get the heck OUT of your house when you have the new training/tip down, and then drive to someplace that will be more challenging then the safety of home...........but less than the crazy of a normal dog class.

Don't be too embarrasses to take him in public until he's perfect. Or you'll never get the 'perfect' . To train we have to challenge our pups while also setting them up to succeed. Use the skills the class is teaching you. I know food/treats are a huge help to me (as well as me being calm, happy and in control).

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I agree.

Go to a dog park and practise outside of the fenced area where it is safe. Gradually decrease the distance.

Just keep watch to make sure that dogs entering and exiting are leashed.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
It was the same way with us. I was totally discouraged to at first. It does get better. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was the same way with us. I was totally discouraged to at first. It does get better. :)
Thank you for the encouragement. It is much appreciated. I took him out tonight where I knew dogs would be and he behaved the way he typically does, only I didn't turn and leave with him, we waited out the other dog to pass, and he 'got over' it sooner than normal. Then there was another dog down the way that he was barking at. This time we turned away and then came back (over and over) until he quit barking. I know it will take time. I'm in it for the long haul! I love my dog very much!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts