German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 1 year old WSL German Shepherd male, I am now thinking to get an additional dog to keep him company and not feel lonely.

My question: will another male mean trouble?

Choices:

-Alaskan Malamute
-Doberman
-another GSD
-Siberian Husky

And why please ?

Looking forward to read your experienced opinions.

Many thanks in Advance

Cheers. Tariq

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
It really depends on the time and energy you have available to put into a second dog. Separate training, separate attention, crating and rotating.

Any Husky is going to have hyper drive, and they easily become destructive if not exercised enough. I’ve found them to be more of a handful than any GSD I’ve owned.

Dobbies and Rotts are great energy wise, and crazy smart with how quickly they catch on to cues and handlers expectations.

No matter the breed, you’re going to have a ton of work to do with 2. And likely will have issues with in fighting as the pup matures. I’ve had both sexes at the same time, and opposite sexes at the same time. It was much less of a headache when they were of different sexes.

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you get a Doberman, you will need to get a bitch. Male Dobermans are prone to same sex aggression, and good breeders usually won't sell a male pup to someone with a resident male dog.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have a Doberman and GSD intact males and they are best friends, it really depends on the individual. You have a better chance with opposite genders though. Also my dobie was far more challenging than my GSD, in terms of energy and general naughtiness.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have to agree wait until your other dog has natured and is well behaved. And theres the big risk they dont get on well.
I have a husky/malamute cross bitch w years old and just got a male german shepherd puppy 6months old 3 months ago.
We got out female spayed soon after as he was in puberty.
Luckily they actually get on very well with each other but they will fight if you dont manage things like food eating separately, toys, and for your attention.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts