German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 5 year old female GSD Sadie had a lump on her back when I adopted her in July. Well it finally popped (an ugly mess of pus). :eek: I cleaned it up and it began to scab over very nicely.

But, about a week later she must have scratched it as it was bleeding again. I took her to the Vet who said it was a sebaceous cyst, common in dogs.

I had never heard of a sebeceous cyst before. Here is a definition:

A sebaceous cyst is a small sac containing an accumulation of secretions produced by the sebaceous glands. Sebaceous cysts are also known as epidermoid cysts, epidermal inclusion cysts, epidermal cysts, and wens.

The sebaceous glands produce an oily substance called sebum, which lubricates the skin. The ducts of the sebaceous glands empty into hair follicles. The development of sebaceous cysts is thought to arise from an obstruction of the follicles, leading to abnormal accumulations of sebum.

Sebaceous cysts are common in dogs. There are no breed, age or sex predilections with respect to formation of the cysts. There is no significant impact on your pet as these are benign, non-painful growths.

The Vet prescribed some anti-biotics, as the wound was a bit infected. It has been about a week now and it is healing up nicely. Scabbed over again. Hopefully Sadie will not scratch it open this time.

Has anyone else had this issue with their GSDs?

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
My 5yr old long coat has two that just popped up. One on her spine near the base of her tail. It is the size of a marble. The other one is just to the side of it but toward her front and to the side of her body and much smaller. I'm keeping a very close eye on these. I thought I felt one near her neck, too. The dogs play hard so that one I assumed was a bite tag injury.
There are a couple threads on this subject and one dog (owned by Val-Wisconsin Tiger) had a cyst that had a tail inside that was several inches long...what we don't see inside is very scary.

This is new to me, I've only started reading up in the past day or two so will follow this thread for advice and hopefully holistic remedies.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
It's basically an infected clogged pore gone mad, but definitely scary looking. Brushing regularly and a good diet help, but some dogs just seem prone to them. I hope your's clears up and doesn't come back:)

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Basu used to get them. I treated them with a hot compress and some calendula (to draw out the pus and to prevent infection). They all healed up just fine with that treatment.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I had a border collie that had one, it was only in one spot but would break open, heal then come back, I had him to the vet to treat it several times but it kept coming back in the same place, so the vet removed it, and it was the only one her ever had.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had one! LOL - - it grew like mad when I was pregnant (20+ years ago) - I called it my 3rd boob - (you can guess the location) - a surgeon removed it about a month after I had my daughter - and it never returned.... :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jkscandi50, that is quite funny. I hope you were ok after it was removed.

My dog Sadie scratched it again! Aaargghh!! The wound is bleeding a little bit. It is getting smaller each time it scabs over. I'll keep giving her the antibiotics and hopefully it will heal completely. Will keep a close watch on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts