German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, happy new year! I am planning on getting a german shepherd puppy in about 1.5 years. I’ve been reading everything I can get my hands on (including a ton of helpful links and threads on this forum!) and want to start looking for a breeder soon.

I live in southern CT and want to find a breeder within driving distance so I can visit. I’m looking for a working line german shepherd (slight preference for east german/ddr) that will primarily be an family companion but that will also train in schutzhund (or a different dog sport). Some recommendations I have seen from old threads include Von Hena C, Ryanhaus amd Rebel Yelle. Any of these that I should specifically focus on or others that I should add to the list?

Also on the topic of schutzhund (should I ask this separately in a different thread?), there don’t seem to be any schutzhund clubs within an hour of where I live. Anything more than hour away means that I will only be able to take the dog once per week. Can I train the dog in schutzhund with a private trainer? Should I pick a different sport? This isn’t urgent given the timeframe, but I’d like to have a good idea of what I will be doing with the dog before I start talking to breeders.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Reactions: RinTinTin2018

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I believe Warkonhaus in State College PA may have just done a breeding, or is about to. She also just posted a 6 month old from a super nice breeding available. And Sitz vd Hose/Olgameister in Marion NY has a young dog available to a working home.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I believe Warkonhaus in State College PA may have just done a breeding, or is about to. She also just posted a 6 month old from a super nice breeding available. And Sitz vd Hose/Olgameister in Marion NY has a young dog available to a working home.
Is this Deb's kennel? Did she change the name?

Anyway, highly recommend Deb Zappia and Jody Potter. Great people/trainers and dogs. I have seen their kennel and dogs. Very nice dogs and I might be getting a female from Deb...Wife is almost there...a few more conversations and one of those girls will be in CT.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Is this Deb's kennel? Did she change the name?

Anyway, highly recommend Deb Zappia and Jody Potter. Great people/trainers and dogs. I have seen their kennel and dogs. Very nice dogs and I might be getting a female from Deb...Wife is almost there...a few more conversations and one of those girls will be in CT.
Is what Deb's kennel? It's always been Olgameister.

JP's is Sitz von der Hose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link lhczth. Unfortunately nothing close enough that I could make the trip after work. I am going to reach out to a few trainers at the closest clubs and see what makes sense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts