German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I am hoping for guidance/ suggestions regarding breeders. I would like to bring home a puppy mid 2019. The more I learn the more I feel I know hardly anything at all, so your kind help is appreciated. I live in Tennessee but do not mind traveling to find the right dog. I am not unfamiliar with dogs, but this will be my first shepherd puppy as an adult. My family always had shepherds growing up, and I was intimately involved in their care from a very young age. It is accurate to say I have been obsessed with dogs my entire life. My first memories are actually of our dogs.

I am looking for a working line puppy to be my companion and family member, and I would like to pursue IPO. I would like a dog who is calm and mentally sound enough to be a pleasant indoor family member, stable around children, other dogs, and novel situations, with a clear head and confident attitude, and the desire to work when needed.

I know that the more detail I can give here, the better people will be able to help and match me with an appropriate litter. So, I will provide as much detail as possible. This may sound odd, but one of the top traits I am looking for is an affectionate dog. I do not want what I would describe as a "hard" dog, but rather, an affectionate, pleasant dog with a desire to be my constant companion, sleep in my bed, etc. As I mentioned I am also very interested to pursue IPO. I will be learning everything I can about the sport and general training between now and the time I hope to bring a puppy home so as to be as prepared as possible to start the puppy out right on every level and set her up for success. I will raw feed, and plan to follow the Dr. Jean Dodds vaccination protocol. I would like a female puppy. My preferred color is a rich, dark sable. Of course, color is the least important characteristic, but we all have an ideal. I do not personally care for solid black color.

Primarily from info I have gathered here, my current rather long list of possible breeders is below. If you know of any breeders not on the list who you feel would be a good match for me, please let me know.

Please do not hesitate to PM me.

Wildhaus- Michigan
Feuergarten German Shepherds- Tennessee
Von Wolfstraum- Pennsylvania
Zu Treuen Händen
Brimwylf -New York
Glaurung Kennel –Michigan
Blackthorn- Virginia
Zo Slovenskeho Dvora- Connecticut
Vom Haus Weinbrand - Ohio

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Huge props for Von Wolfstraum! Have an 11wk old SAR pup who is killing it in affection, stability (yes she is only 11wks,but ability to recover from scary things is HUGE, and she has it in spades) and drive to work... May not be the match for you, but definitely is a great breeder who knows her stuff and her lineage of well bred dogs speaks foe themselves... Good luck on your choices

·
Super Moderator
8,712 Posts
There is a dog on IG that I admire. When inquiring about his breeding, this was the response I got...

“Hi! He’s a DDR working line German Shepherd and he’s from a breeder in TN, Sequoyah. His temperament is family oriented, never really shows aggression, extremely high ball drive, he’s about 90 lbs and height standing is about 24””

It’s not much but worth looking into since they’re in your home state.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I agree with Jax. Try to go out and meet dogs from the breeders you have listed. See what lines up with what you want. There are a couple of really good breeders on your list.

I have a Feuergarten dog and she is everything I’ve ever wanted. Totally stable, able to go anywhere, not reactive, healthy, drive for days and a super off switch in the house. Her foundation was in IPO, but I switched to other sports once her breeder/our trainer moved to TN. We’re now training in nosework and agility, and she’s exceeding my expectations in both. My girl is 3.5 now, and has been an absolute dream. Alexis is also wonderful to work with. Very supportive of her buyers.

ETA: My girl is VERY affectionate with me. She is always by my side, sleeps in bed with me at night. She loves to cuddle. She’s a total sweetheart with family and friends, but can definitely turn it on when required.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Definitely check out sportwaffen K9 , Nate Harves in indianapolis. Truly awesome dogs.

Reactions: onyx'girl

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Well, I am a green novice in the IPO world, but I have learned a few things in the last year...and my takeaway is not all titles are created equally. I will only ever be getting dogs where I either know the breeder and their stock, or have a trusted friend that knows the breeder and their stock. So I am in the "go to your local IPO Club and get to know the GSD people there" camp.

Good luck, and I know the wait is torture :)

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Brimwolf is in Texas

You should visit clubs and watch the dogs. You will find what you want

I am not sure if Brimwylf is still breeding. She just bought a new puppy.

Reactions: mnm

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Definitely check out Lee at von Wolfstraum. Not sure when she's planning another breeding, but I have met her dogs, and many Wolfstraum pups over the years. They are super family dogs and can work when needed. Plus you get a breeder with a wealth on knowledge and experience, and knows pedigrees and her lines extremely well.

Reactions: Momto2GSDs
1 - 10 of 10 Posts