German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few easy questions to satisfy my curiosity. What word or words do you use, or have you used with your dog for "search"?

The state of Illinois does not support cadaver, so in in their USAR cert, cadaver is planted as a distraction to ignore. Which made me wonder...

Do any of you have dogs who perform multiple types of search? e.g. narc, sar, exp, live, hrd, etc? How do you personally cue your dog for each?

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
USAR dogs are generally not cross trained. Some wilderness dogs are. When I tried to cross train my wilderness dog I used "go find" for live and "such" for HRD.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
134 Posts
I use "find" for live and "seek" for not.

More important than the words are the routine actions leading up to them. Part of that is for live I put a vest on my dog. For cadaver I don't use a vest but have a different collar that I put on him. I have different reward toys for each type of search and let him see the appropriate one briefly before starting. For live he starts from a standing position; for cadaver he starts from a down. So by the time the word is spoken he already knows what he is about to search for.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
My dog is single purpose/cadaver. He pretty much searches on his own, whenever I take him anywhere and cut him off lead but I do consistently sit him, look him in the eyes, and say "such".

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
"Search" is Titan's command to live find. When we start HRD it will be "Find Bones" that's more of a common command in our team than anything. I have thought of changing it to another one but not sure yet. Someone else on our team has "work" for live find, "track track" for tracking and "find fred" for HRD, all for the one dog.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We have our "routine" that we go through. Ava only wears a flat collar when we search, unlike her prong and slip collars for obedience and rally, and it is a specific collar. (actually, she has up to three that she wears for searching: her wide, reflective SEARCH collar, her GPS tracking collar, and she also has an LED collar that she wears at night) She also has a specific leash that is only used for searching.
When I walk her to her starting point, I unhook her leash and hold on to her collar, and start to get her psyched up. Not that she isn't already LOL... but I give her a little shake on her collar and ask her, "you ready to work? You ready to go work???" in my excited voice. Then, once she responds by giving me a lunge and a "cry", I give her a slap on the shoulder at the same time as releasing her, and tell her, "Go Find!!!" :wild:

We do airscenting (live find), btw :)

Julie

·
Super Moderator
3,152 Posts
Zoek - pronounced sook.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts