German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you had crate screamers? I've raised other puppies but my new boy and my last boy were super loud and persistent in the crate- bellowing up to 1 hour! I've had him 4 days and he's getting a little better, but the progress is very slow! I do feed him in his crate, treat him for going in and he sleeps at night in a crate next to me with no problem. And I have watched some of the crate games videos. I just need him to stay in a crate without screaming when I go out!

I just want to hear that othere have gone through this and that it doesn't last too long!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Blaze screamed for about 1 week, then he talked a little, now not much. He does protest slightly if put in there during the day, but goes right in at bedtime.

If you know they're good other than them not wanting to be in crate you are right to continue to ignore, this too shall pass. Oh and a blanket on top of his crate helped a lot, made it more den like I think, less exposed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine whine too. I had to be tough and not go see him or let him out. It has been a month now and he barely ever whine anymore. Probably because he knows nothing could really come from whining. I read somewhere in this forum that dogs are pack animal so they whine to let us know that they stuck and can't follow us. That makes me feel better.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Have you tried NILIF and using your crate as a location for all rewards (besides actual training)? You want to give your pup some cheese? Provide the crate command and give him the treat once he enters, turns and waits. Shut the door and give the reward. Wait two minutes and open the door, tell him to wait, provide the treat and let him out throwing a party.

Do this all the time..all during the day. Increase the time stayed in the crate once he has mastered the short periods. If he screams during the 2 minute exercise, decrease your time to 1 minute. If he screams at one minute, decrease your time to the smallest amount of time he'll be quiet in the crate.

Never provide a treat without a requested behavior. Feed all meals in the crate. All good things happen when in the crate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok.. this is going to sound bad to some people. When I got Max at eight weeks, that evening I was EXHAUSTED. I put the crate in the bedroom and put Max in it and he went crazy. I was too tired to hear the screaming so I just layed him in the bed with me and he was quiet. At first he HATED the crate but I started putting good things in his crate and little by little he learned to like it. Now sometimes when he's real tired in the middle of the day he'll walk himself into his crate. I think the crate at first is overwhelming but little by little they get used to it. Maybe do what I did and just put him in there for a few minutes at a time. Not for hours on end in the beginning?

·
Registered
34 Posts
My boy hates the crate. He spent a nite in the crate last nite. He gets himself so worked up he throws up. He hates the crate. He cries and barks and whimpers for hours. But I do let him out every 3 hours for potty breaks just to show him he isn't trapped. He does ok in it while we leave to go somewhere he doesn't throw up. He does bite the crate and has marks on his mouth from biting the crate so much.
I have tried making the crate a fun place feeding him his meals in the crate etc. He just hates hates that crate.
I hope it is better tonite we none slept last nite. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts