German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a small problem. Our dog loves to dig holes in the yard which is natural but we don't like it. She is digging up multiple holes in the yard. And now she is bringing the habit into our house. She gets under our dinning room table and starts to act like she is digging on the rug under the table. Kinda cute and funny at first but now she wants to do it all the time. She will bunch up the rug and keeps scratching the rug until we stop her. Then she will go back. We have put her into her cage a number of times to cool her down. Why is she doing this and how can we stop her? The easiest way is to pull the rug off the floor. But why should we?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
It's a normal nesting behavior for dogs.

Make sure she has a dog bed where she likes to sleep the most, so if she scratches that to get ready for a lay down it's ok.

Otherwise this, like so many things, is a management issue. As long as you have provided places for her to nest and rest that are ok, then when she starts scratching at other locations you can just stop her by telling her to go to her 'place' (dog bed).

I'd also no longer allow her to be alone in the yard to dig and destroy it. Bad habit there that is easily stopped by just your presence. Break the habit and she may be ok alone in 6 months or so.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Has she done this since she was a baby and now you are just tired of it? She hasn't had a heat cycle yet has she?
It could be OCD behavior, or if she were older and finishing up a heat cycle, she could be going thru a false pregnancy(trying to nest)
GSD's aren't usually natural diggers like some breeds. I would try to work her mind and body more so she doesn't have the free time to dig. I go to a house often and their dog was hit by a car when he was young, so he has arthritis and pain w/ his rear leg. He constantly scratches up their carpeting before he lays down. I don't know why they don't have a nice bed for him to lay on. I assume he's digging the carpet to try to get comfortable(which probably will never happen)
Do you think your pups hips are ok? Not in any pain? Just tossing out some idea's.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has she done this since she was a baby and now you are just tired of it? She hasn't had a heat cycle yet has she?
It could be OCD behavior, or if she were older and finishing up a heat cycle, she could be going thru a false pregnancy(trying to nest)
GSD's aren't usually natural diggers like some breeds. I would try to work her mind and body more so she doesn't have the free time to dig. I go to a house often and their dog was hit by a car when he was young, so he has arthritis and pain w/ his rear leg. He constantly scratches up their carpeting before he lays down. I don't know why they don't have a nice bed for him to lay on. I assume he's digging the carpet to try to get comfortable(which probably will never happen)
Do you think your pups hips are ok? Not in any pain? Just tossing out some idea's.
We got her when she was about 5 months old and now shes nearly 9 and her hips are fine. But my wife and I think it's because it's either she's bored or just plain wants some attention. She just started doing this maybe 2 weeks ago or so. It's not a very good area rug just the idea of what she is doing. Some days are better than others. We just said the other day just wait til winter gets here with all the snow and cold she will probably don't want to go outside. We have trouble letting her out when it rains let alone snows. But who knows. Can she have heat cycles even though she is spayed?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
no, she can't have heat cycles when spayed. How do you know her hips are fine....did you have x-rays taken? My dogs love the cold and snow! You may be surprised at how she is in the snow :)
I don't think digging is what a dog does to get attention, though boredom will have them do behaviors that aren't appreciated.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The dog is just making it's bed.

My dogs do it too. In the garden they will scratch themselves a hole and lie in it.

Just get a bed for the dog and instruct it to go there instead of scratching the rug if it is really an issue for you. I would just let it off unless your really attached to the rug.

Dogs do doggy stuff and don't act as we want all the time. Just have to accept it.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Some of my dogs scratch and nest before laying down, and others do not. It's normal for the ones that do. I just manage this and have dog beds/blankets available so they nest where it's appropriate and nothing gets ruined.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts