German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are GSDs of Schutzland Working Lines? I had never heard of it, until I asked my hobby breeder friend what lines my previous dog were from. Thanks!

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
What is Shutzland? Do you mean Schutzhund?

I think your hobby breeder friend used the wrong word or you misunderstood.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I searched and actually found the word "Shutzland", but it really didn't define what it is, just stated that it is a German word. I have never heard of it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
'Schutz' means protection and 'Hund' means dog which equates to protection dog. It is not called that any more and has been modified over the years into a sport called IPO.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
I searched and actually found the word "Shutzland", but it really didn't define what it is, just stated that it is a German word. I have never heard of it.

I found it in a google search but it was all people using it in place of Schutzhund so I think someone is using the wrong word. What does your friend, the hobby breeder, breed? Maybe you should ask them what they think it means?

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
My interpretation is that your hobby breeder friend breeds working line dogs. My understanding is that these dogs are chosen for their ability to work (such as IPO & other sports as well as K-9 dogs).

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, she was definitely using the term Shutzland. In looking at the info on the sire of her pups (different owner), they are working line dogs, with lots of blacks and sables. Now that I have educated myself more fully on the various lines and their purposes, I understand a bit why I got in "over my head" with my last shepherd :( I view it as partially my fault as a buyer, and partially her fault as a breeder in placing this adolescent pup with me. My very first shepherd was evidently American SL, and was just a dog - so easy. The reason I have been dwelling on this recently is that it has been a whole year already since I sadly returned my WL pup to her breeder. Very sadly. I was incredibly in love with my girl, and still miss her! I will have another shepherd in the future, and have my breeder picked out. I will be incredibly picky and specific about the pup I get. Buyer beware, I guess. I am so looking forward to my next pup. :)

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Maybe she meant Schultzland. They originated at the kennel 13 with Heir Klink under the breed warden Burkhalter. Heir Hochstetter brought the whole thing to an end though when the first high scoring american handler, Hogan was able to beat them all at the Crittendon trials of 1945.

Then again its possible, "I Know Nooothing! Noothing!!"

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Maybe she meant Schultzland. They originated at the kennel 13 with Heir Klink under the breed warden Burkhalter. Heir Hochstetter brought the whole thing to an end though when the first high scoring american handler, Hogan was able to beat them all at the Crittendon trials of 1945.

Then again its possible, "I Know Nooothing! Noothing!!"
Showing your age a bit, no? :D

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I'm leaning on old, but I make up for it by being immature.
:thumbup:
I'm not new, by a long shot. But I spent about an hour today rolling around in the grass giggling like an idiot while Shadow leaped around me trying to give kisses.
Life is good.
I want the ops hobby breeder friend to log on and explain this, cause I seriously loved that show and I will be very upset if Shultz was breeding dogs and never told anyone. Wasn't there a GSD that was friends with the guys?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts