German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 week GSD puppy and I'd like to train her in schutzhund. I've found out too late that it is recommended to join a club before getting a puppy, so I'm currently looking for a club and hopefully going to visit one on Sunday. Anyway, for now, can anyone recommend any books, videos (youtube or dvd) that I could use to get started. So far I've just been playing with her a lot hopefully developing a strong bond and trying to teach her what is okay to bite.

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
Where are You at? You don't have to belong to as club and there are trainers that work independently

·
Registered
92 Posts
Phantom, I have a 12 week old GSD now that ive had since he was 8 weeks. He got his final set of shots Saturday and hit the schutzhund field for the first time last night. I didnt joined beforehand, just showed up with my pup, started talking to everyone and got an app to join. Most of the people are very down to earth and ready to help, ESPECIALLY WITH A PUPPY! As of right now, alot of prey drive with a flirt pole and alot of positive reinforcement obedience training. Our pups still have a longgg way to go before they are actually on the field doing work so for now its all socialization and positive reinforcement.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Also, some of my favorites to watch are Mike Ellis, Larry Krohn, anything on Leerburg, Robert Carbral and Tyler Muto. There are a ton more but that should keep you busy a while. Remember there is more than one way to do this, I like to read and watch as much as I can and try to figure out what will work best with MY dog.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where are You at? You don't have to belong to as club and there are trainers that work independently
Craighead county Arkansas. It looks like the only club near me at all is in St. Louis (3+hrs away).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phantom, I have a 12 week old GSD now that ive had since he was 8 weeks. He got his final set of shots Saturday and hit the schutzhund field for the first time last night. I didnt joined beforehand, just showed up with my pup, started talking to everyone and got an app to join. Most of the people are very down to earth and ready to help, ESPECIALLY WITH A PUPPY! As of right now, alot of prey drive with a flirt pole and alot of positive reinforcement obedience training. Our pups still have a longgg way to go before they are actually on the field doing work so for now its all socialization and positive reinforcement.
That actually reminded me of a question I've been wondering. I should bring her with me when I first visit?

·
Registered
32,417 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
That actually reminded me of a question I've been wondering. I should bring her with me when I first visit?

Yes definitely. At this age its just more socialization then anything else. The decoy may mess with her a little with the flirt pole or something but for the most part youll be riding the bench for a while. So best advice I can get during that time is keep your mouth shut and ears open and try to take in as much info as you can so when you do actually start with her youre ahead of the game.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Schutzhund Club in your area

Wolf River Schutzhund Club
Carma J. Cleveland
Collierville, TN
(901) 605-8801

Try this one. I think they are only an 1.5 hrs away.
I wouldn't bring my puppy. Just go check it out and see if you like what they are doing.
You can always look at United Schutzhund Club of America for more information on rules, events, and clubs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, it is closer. Didn't see it when I searched for clubs.
Wolf River Schutzhund Club
Carma J. Cleveland
Collierville, TN
(901) 605-8801

Try this one. I think they are only an 1.5 hrs away.
I wouldn't bring my puppy. Just go check it out and see if you like what they are doing.
You can always look at United Schutzhund Club of America for more information on rules, events, and clubs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts