German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I was recently asked to join a new local Working Dog Association. I was told they teach Schutzhund, which admittedly, I've never seen the training before. I checked out their website & watched the training & decided it's not what we are looking for. (the trainers seemed inexperienced to me) Anyway, a friend of mine joined & stopped by afterwards the other day. She was telling me about the training. She said they tied a shoe string around her dogs neck & "choked him out until he collapsed & passed out" to teach dominance & they kick him repeatedly in the front legs to teach him to lay.
Is that normal in Schutzhund? Like i said, I've never seen the training so I don't know but that seems rather drastic to me.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
troll?

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have seen some use stupid things like that, and even defend it! <u>Do NOT believe that these people are trainers, they are scum and they will injured your dog mentally and physically! DO report them, it is absolutely in excusable to "choke a dog out".</u> AHH! I can't believe that there are so many
people that do these things, it is so frustrating! It is really difficult because they always have some kind of impressive credentials police, military k9 etc. and people will do what they say for whatever reason.
It's crazy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick replies! I am so glad ya'll say that! I was hoping that it wasn't a "normal" training method. Where would I report something like that?

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
As others have said this is NOT normal training.

First, before YOU go off and report anyone I would suggest you witness it with your OWN eyes.

While you are there you should take video of the methods that are over the top.

THEN you can contact your local AC and ask them how to procede.

p.s. I sent you a PM - Private Message. It's the little envelope flashing next to the My Stuff option at the top fo the forum.

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
I think I said contact both above, someone else stated the a/c, but I would think you would want them shutdown as a club as well???? Esp. if it's a training"director" doing this. But I agree, get evidence.

there is no need to kick a dog into submission. Yes they use whips on the front legs occasionally to bring drive up on a dog back tied. Seen this in many clubs, but it's not hard just to get the dog riled up. Shoe string to make a dog pass out? I doubt this dog is that "hard" of a dog. I've only known one dog in my time that has ever been choked off by it's owner for handler aggression, dog was quickly retired.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
You also have to remember not all clubs are affiliated with UScA, DVG or WDA.. Lots of small training groups out there that are not official clubs.. nor do they carry any insurance..

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Yes, I seen that!

But also wanted to explain that for some of the newer folks..

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
Ok, but if they are training without insurance, if someone gets bit, the people can be individually sued for damages. So you'd better love everyone and have a really good attorney draw up waivers. Club ins. has gone up, but for the price, really worth the piece of mind, imo.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
If it is really a "working dog" club as in GSDCA-WDA, PLEASE report it to the WDA.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts