German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
What about your wife/husband/kids? Are you saying that all Sch dogs are one person dogs?
You need to visit a SchH club, spend time with some good dogs. The GSD I train in SchH does bite work in the afternoon, and that same evening will sit at a little kids table with a hat and scarf on, with a tea service in front of her while my four year old talks with the teddybear in the next seat. A good GSD can and should do it all. Your family and extended circle of friends become your dog's flock.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Maybe more specific to SchH;
I would praise the dog for barking
I would not allow it to be handled/trained by anyone but me
I would not scold it for jumping
I would not scold it for biting
I would not scold it for anything
No, you mark it with a clicker and reward it with a tug ... :laugh:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
man i almost want to get my lab into this training, i think she has most of the qualities haha

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
black lab lol. my boyfriend play fights with her and she jumps and barks and bites arms (not hard just playing) and she is the queen of tug of war! shes a total brat too she is too smart for her own good.

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
I bet she can track too!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
probably! she sniff all my plastic bags and knows what ones come from petsmart and she grabs her toys out of it haha.

·
Premium Member
18,686 Posts
The biggest difference you will see between pet household obedience and SchH obedience is that we want the dogs to be far freer and more correct. For example a pet dog sits crooked or does a puppy sit (on one hip) it really doesn't matter. In SchH they must sit squarely and straight. Many pet obedience classes put far too much control on the puppies at a young age and can squash the drive and attitudes that we want in all three stages of SchH.

Actually you can teach SchH tracking on your own, but first you must know what the final picture looks like. There are some very good books on tracking available. For the most part I am self taught in tracking. I have received a few pointers over the years, but mostly I did it all on my own. It does require a willingness to experiment and the ability to read your dog. To proof your dog for trials you will need some help so the dog not only gets used to crowds, but having other people lay the tracks once you have the TR1/SchH1.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Why wouldn't you want a puppy to get used to being handled on leash by someone else? I must be a little slow but I don't see what potentially bad impact of this. Do you usually teach this capability later when the dog is older?

The reason I ask is that we once met a famous German judge (we were looking for an imprted GSD puppy) at a dog show and my wife took his personal dog for a walk around the show by herself. When she got back we found out that the dog was hi scoring protection dog at the Sieger show and he was absolutely perfect walking off with my wife.

Regards not teaching the "out" command - is it that if you teach this command to a young dog that it will have a bad impact later? What impact would it have on I assume the bite work in Sch?

Thanks!
No one does formal training with my Schutzhund dogs but me. Not even my husband. Playing around, having the dog to tricks and get treats, having someone hold the leash while we're on a walk...that's different. My husband often takes my dogs jogging without me and he takes care of them when I'm not around. The actual training and the formal commands, only me. It is out of fairness to the dog. For one my GSDs all have a strong bond with one person. They love my husband and mind him but they don't have the same bond that they do with me. He doesn't have the same grasp for training and handling that I do. To expect the dogs to perform for him like they do for me is not fair for the dog, because he's not the same handler as me. I'm talking about when the dog is in training learning formal commands or being asked to perform them. I don't tell my friends and family their formal commands.

As for the puppy class, I am there to train and to help my dog learn to focus with distraction and have self control. Classes to me are not for socialization. Don't get me wrong, I spend MORE time socializing my puppies than training, but not at the same time, and the socialization is controlled by me, not a training instructor.

I do not teach puppies to out because if I'm using tugs or rags or balls it's for the purpose of bite development and encouraging their drives, not training an out. That comes later on. I don't need my dogs to out like robots on command just to have control of the game. It doesn't really have anything to do with protection, that's a totally different frame of mind than playing tug and outing a tug.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
What about your wife/husband/kids? Are you saying that all Sch dogs are one person dogs?

If that is the case, then no thank you for me.

i had never heard that before about Sch - I had heard that one does all they can to build the dogs confidence but not the one person only handling.
To be honest I haven't yet seen more than a few dogs that will do Schutzhund the same way for more than one person. The Schutzhund aspect of the dog's life is typically controlled by one person, yes. Otherwise it is confusing and unfair to the dog. Schutzhund is not like basic obedience where once a dog knows sit pretty much anyone can say sit. There has to be a very strong bong, a working relationship, a mutual respect between dog and handler. You just can't get that at the same level with two or more people and I don't see how that would come as any surprise. It's like having champion pairs ice skaters being expected to perform at the same caliber regardless of who they are paired with on any given day. No way.

When would you start manners for a potential Sch dog? I thought that obedience was a big part of Sch?

Would you teach a dog that it is ok to bite people without teaching the obedience to help control the dog first (or at the same time)?
I'm not one of those that let's a "Schutzhund dog" get away with everything just because. I do have high expectations for my dogs as far as manners and that includes ALL my dogs, maybe my SchH dogs are held to an even higher standard because they've had more training and impulse control overall. The difference is that when the dog is young it's more about controlling the environment and setting the dog up for success than correction the dog and squashing the drive. My SchH dog was never allowed to get mouthy on me or treat me like a doormat. He is not allowed to jump on house guests or bite at their clothes for fun. If he had exhibited these behaviors as a puppy, my solution would be exercise him hard before guests come over and then give him a big reward bone in his crate rather than allow him to jump on people or yell at him for doing it. If he mouths at me, I redirect him to a toy and play a game rather than slap his face.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You have gotten some good advice, just want to jump in on a couple points.
- I understand your concern about the dogs being robots. When you see dogs in a SchH trial, what they do is so amazing. It is difficult to picture them hanging out with their owners at home. I have been training with Bison just over a year now, and even though he is much more obedient at home, he is still the same big goofy boy has always been.
- I think the differences in training between a "pet" and a SchH prospect really depends on what your goals are. My dogs will always be pets first and SchH competitors second. My philosophy for training is a bit different than Wayne's in that I feel that a well bred GSD does not have to be allowed to be a wild man to be able to be involved in SchH. For example, if he has the nerve to bite, me training him to not put teeth on people at home isn't going to stop him from biting on the field. Me teaching him not to jump up on people at home isn't going to prevent him from jumping over jumps. Dogs are very situational in their training. They can compartmentalize to a great extent what happens on the field and what happens at home. I think it is more important the methods that you use to teach them those things and that is where your SchH club can help you make better training choices.

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
Along with what Amy posted, the temperament and lines of the dog are huge in what they are showing on the field. Thats why my two females couldn't do it...I had to find a pup that will be biddable and confident enough to go forth with the whole picture.
Now it is up to me to let him shine and excel in what he was bred to do! I don't want to fail him.

·
Registered
604 Posts
From Nike Sentry Dogs(sorry for the all caps, but it's in the original page):

SENTRY DOGS, AS WELL AS THEIR M.P. DOG HANDLERS, WERE ASSIGNED TO ALL NIKE HERCULES SITES. THE DOGS WERE USED TO PATROL THE AREA BETWEEN THE LAUNCHER AREA FENCE AND THE EXCLUSION AREA (LAUNCHING AREA) FENCE. THE DOGS WERE PRIMARILY UTILIZED AT NIGHT TO AUGMENT THE SECURITY OF THE SITE. ON AVERAGE, THERE WERE FOUR DOGS PER SITE, ALTHOUGH SITES OVERSEAS TENDED TO HAVE MORE. A DOG WAS ASSIGNED TO ONE HANDLER WHO HAD TO CARE FOR THE DOG IN ADDITION TO PATROLLING WITH IT. THE DOGS WERE PURPOSELY TRAINED TO BE OVERLY AGGRESSIVE AND WERE BASICALLY FRIENDLY TO THEIR HANDLER AND NO ONE ELSE. FOR EXAMPLE, DOGS TRAINED FOR POLICE WORK TODAY LIVE WITH THEIR OFFICER/HANDLER AND ARE BASICALLY FRIENDLY UNTIL COMMANDED TO DO OTHERWISE. SENTRY DOGS WERE NOT THIS WAY. YOU DIDN'T WANT TO GET CLOSE TO ONE OF THESE DOGS. ON OCCASION A DOG WOULD GET LOOSE FROM ITS PEN. WHEN THIS HAPPENED YOU WOULD SEE SOLDIERS SCRAMBLE TO GET TO A SAFE PLACE BECAUSE THAT DOG WOULD ATTACK THEM. IN MOST CASES, WHEN A DOG HANDLER WAS TRANSFERRED HIS DOG WOULD GO WITH HIM. WHEN A DOG HANDLER LEFT THE SERVICE AN ATTEMPT WAS MADE TO INTRODUCE A NEW HANDLER TO THE DOG. IN SOME CASES THE DOG WOULD NOT ACCEPT A NEW HANDLER AND HAD TO BE PUT DOWN. DOGS WOULD BE PUT DOWN WHEN THEY WERE TOO OLD TO WORK
Schutzhund will NOT turn your dog into a sentry dog, thank goodness! It will also NOT turn your dog into a kill-crazy monster, as written about in one of Tom Clancy's books (I can't remember which one, one of the Rainbow Six books I think).

As for using a clicker, about 30% of the handlers I saw in practice at the 2008 WUSV Championship in Ft. Mitchell, Ky were using clickers.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
To be honest I haven't yet seen more than a few dogs that will do Schutzhund the same way for more than one person. The Schutzhund aspect of the dog's life is typically controlled by one person, yes. Otherwise it is confusing and unfair to the dog. Schutzhund is not like basic obedience where once a dog knows sit pretty much anyone can say sit. There has to be a very strong bong, a working relationship, a mutual respect between dog and handler. You just can't get that at the same level with two or more people and I don't see how that would come as any surprise. It's like having champion pairs ice skaters being expected to perform at the same caliber regardless of who they are paired with on any given day. No way.

I'm not one of those that let's a "Schutzhund dog" get away with everything just because. I do have high expectations for my dogs as far as manners and that includes ALL my dogs, maybe my SchH dogs are held to an even higher standard because they've had more training and impulse control overall. The difference is that when the dog is young it's more about controlling the environment and setting the dog up for success than correction the dog and squashing the drive. My SchH dog was never allowed to get mouthy on me or treat me like a doormat. He is not allowed to jump on house guests or bite at their clothes for fun. If he had exhibited these behaviors as a puppy, my solution would be exercise him hard before guests come over and then give him a big reward bone in his crate rather than allow him to jump on people or yell at him for doing it. If he mouths at me, I redirect him to a toy and play a game rather than slap his face.
I agree with most of this. My DH and I split our dogs...does that mean that they are absolutely uncontrollable for me if I wanted to take one of his for a walk in the neighborhood?? No. However I will not use his formal commands except in dire emergency :) I will use their house words instead. I do not ask his dogs to sit or down because I don't need to. They know come, and walk, and off, and crate, and that pretty covers everything I need for us to get along. The reason for this is that for several months (like 8), my puppy does no obedience without reward. And the way I want my dog to do formal commands is specific. In the beginning obedience should be done in drive, so that pretty happy obedience becomes a habit. You want to avoid that average pet training you see with the owner telling the dog to SIT, SIT, SIT...and finally the dog sits. Formal obedience should be FAST and you have to set it up so that your dog learns to want to be fast and correct.

As you train you learn that your dog does not listen to words alone. It responds to body language, tone, environment, and a dozen other cues that you don't even know you give. 2 people do not give the same cues so it's difficult on a beginning dog to work with more than 1 person. Once the dog is older, it can generally transfer much better. Our older dogs would go off with anyone with a treat or a ball and work. As pretty as they do for their handler? No. But still good.

I also do not think SchH dogs need to get away with murder. I have boundaries...but I make sure that my boundaries are NOT counterproductive to what I want from my dog. I want my dog to make body contact with people and not be afraid to plow into them...So I can expect to be jumped on and pushed around a little by my puppy. When he gets older and knows Sit...well then I can ask him to do that instead...but I never want him to have the idea in his head that making physical contact with people is bad. Likewise for the mouthing. Using his mouth with a full hard grip is an admirable quality in a SchH pup. He cannot have a negative association with using his mouth, but I have to channel it to toys. This is a process that takes time. In the meantime I will bleed. This also applies to leash manners. My dog needs to know that it is OK to pull against a collar or a harness because he's going to have to do it in bite work. Can I start teaching him leash manners right away?? Sure. By rewarding him next to me. But what I cannot do is start popping him on the collar to get him to stay with me or using aversive that "stop the pulling". Also don't want to inhibit the dog's instinct to chase. He wants to run down the kids, the cat, the other small dog?? Teach the kids to not run. Manage the situation so that he's never able to give chase, or wait to introduce those situations into his world once he's older and has the self control and obedience to understand that this is not the time or place.

So while I agree that some boundaries are necessary, I think you can see that the initial training of a SchH prospect (at least for me) is not really about livability- all that comes later.

To my mind SchH puppies are terrible house pets. But SchH dogs are the absolute BEST. :) It's just getting there.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The difference is that when the dog is young it's more about controlling the environment and setting the dog up for success than correction the dog and squashing the drive. My SchH dog was never allowed to get mouthy on me or treat me like a doormat. He is not allowed to jump on house guests or bite at their clothes for fun. If he had exhibited these behaviors as a puppy, my solution would be exercise him hard before guests come over and then give him a big reward bone in his crate rather than allow him to jump on people or yell at him for doing it. If he mouths at me, I redirect him to a toy and play a game rather than slap his face.
Excellent post. When I say I wouldn't scold for this or that, don't interpret that as an out of control animal. As an example, to prevent jumping on guests, I sit or down the dog when she greets someone. If she breaks the sit or down, then she is corrected for that, but not for jumping or meeting new people. A subtle but significant difference, especially to the dog.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I don't know much about working with a puppy being raised to do Schutzhund. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and knowledge. Really interesting stuff.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Excellent post. When I say I wouldn't scold for this or that, don't interpret that as an out of control animal. As an example, to prevent jumping on guests, I sit or down the dog when she greets someone. If she breaks the sit or down, then she is corrected for that, but not for jumping or meeting new people. A subtle but significant difference, especially to the dog.
Maybe we don't think that differently after all. That is what I meant by the training method may differ, but you don't have to let them get away with everything. I very rarely TEACH anything by correcting/scolding/or negative reinforcement. I think that is why SchH was an easy switch for us. I taught Bison to not bite by redirecting and making biting the toy really fun, more fun than biting me. The only negative consequence was that if he persisted in biting after redirecting then I ended the play time. Eventually he learned discipline in the bite and that it is fun when you bite the right thing. In obedience classes that I attended they recommended everything from yipping to holding their mouth shut. The negative associations teach plain biting=bad and I can see how that could create an issue.

I think that the methods that create a negative association with something that you will have to use later is more the issue than training them not to bite, jump, pull... But that is just a newbie opinion, take it for what it is worth.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.