German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read this on a different forum. If true and successful this is definitely a step in the right direction:

Girard Bradshaw, co-founder, executive director and director of judging for the Protection Sports Association (PSA) who is also the founding director of the National Tactical Police Dog Administration (NTPDA) along with the 2015 WUSV World Champion, Debra Zappia and several other like minded individuals, have all teamed up and created a new all breed working organization in North America. This organization is simply called, “Schutzhund” and will be implemented shortly with an intended outcome of returning Schutzhund back to its original roots along with some modifications necessary for an evolving platform. Please note,
the “Schutzhund” clubs and the suit sport clubs will be separate.
In the very near future, a lot of information will be disseminated. Social Media based platforms will be one means of communication for providing updates. Also, once finalized, we will post the information regarding an upcoming informational seminar that will explain in detail everything that encompasses this new organization.

Schutzhund Mission Statement:

To restore and maintain Schutzhund as a relevant breed suitability test for working dogs in America. Schutzhund will test the ability of the dog to withstand stress and continue to function in difficult situations. We will continue to evolve, always cognizant of the fact, that the balance among the three phases of the test is what makes it so difficult, yet so important. The entire premise of the test is to determine the best dogs suitable for law enforcement, the military and for serving the needs of humanity. With the information gained through the rigorous trials of scent work, obedience and protection work: police officers, individuals and organizations in disaster work, as well as our armed forces, will be able to choose canines suitable to execute the work of serving. Down the Road: Registration and Stud Books will be developed for individual breeds

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts
I wonder why they don't just try to create a sub set of PSA for that purpose. Of course, I've never been to a PSA trial.

·
Premium Member
11,328 Posts
No matter how many organizations are started....their membership, clubs and reach can only go as far as how many decoys/helper-trainers are available....every.single.club. in every organization is based on a strong helper/trainer and wtih few exceptions, these are men doing decoy work. Without a decoy, you have a tracking and ob group.....unless you do all your bitework training with a ball in the blind.

DVG has 20?25? clubs in the US, GSDCA has maybe 30-40 (in it's heyday, WDA had 50-60 when the Johannes Amendment started the war) and USCA has 250-300.....at one point, many people were members of 2 or even all 3 of the organizations and clubs had dual affiliations. There may be a few even now that are doubling with DVG and USCA. I don't think there are more than 2 dozen each of Mondio/Ring/PSA - I looked them up a few times, but nothing anywhere within reasonable distance.

It will take a cataclysmic event to take people/clubs away from USCA in any significant number.

JMHO

Lee

Reactions: Saphire and Jax08

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new to the sport and exploring potentially joining a club. But in looking at the United Schutzhund Clubs of America (USCA) membership application, I was struck by this requirement:

"I represent that I am not a member of any competing German Shepherd Dog organization situated in the United States of America. I further understand and consent to the fact that my membership privileges shall be revoked with no refund, even on a pro-rata basis, should I at a later point in time, become a member of a competing German Shepherd Dog organization."

This seems to me a terrible requirement to ask of its members. First, as a newbie I am not clear who or what constitutes "a competing German Shepherd Dog organization," and so I am not sure how I would ensure I would stay in the good graces of USCA. Second, an organization that bans its members from being a member of another organization seems not only an incredibly weak and defensive requirement, but also a deeply un-American and monopolistic impulse. I'd much prefer a club that is focused on being an excellent club and community, and letting excellence speak for itself rather than trying to lock members in and restrict their abilities to join any other clubs.

This seems to stand in stark contrast to the open stance of the PSAK9 American Schutzhund effort (as excerpted from their announcement Facebook post, shared elsewhere in this forum):

"American Schutzhund is an all breed working dog organization. It was not created to divide and or replace any current working dog organizations. This organization will accept memberships from already established clubs as well as new clubs. Also, all individual persons not affiliated with any clubs are also welcomed to join. In other words, all are welcomed to join and still belong to any other working dog organization. There’s absolutely no reason to give up any affiliations you and or your club already have. We encourage you to work your dog to the best of it’s ability in any sport you deem important."

I am attracted to the PSAK9 position/language. The USCA language gives me significant pause to considering joining USCA. Interestingly, USCA does not have the "competing club" membership ban language in the terms and conditions of their web-based version membership application. I wonder if this is a new requirement that USCA is imposing on its members in response to a perceived threat by the American Schutzhund effort that is discussed in this thread, and it is just a sloppy and incomplete application of the ban langauge across their application platforms; or if USCA had the requirement and then thought better of it and have not updated their PDF membership application to remove it? Either way, the fact that USCA's had or has this position gives me significant pause about joining.

Any thoughts or insights on the requirement by USCA and whether it is at all related to the PSAK9 American Schutzhund effort?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I am new to the sport and exploring potentially joining a club. But in looking at the United Schutzhund Clubs of America (USCA) membership application, I was struck by this requirement:

"I represent that I am not a member of any competing German Shepherd Dog organization situated in the United States of America. I further understand and consent to the fact that my membership privileges shall be revoked with no refund, even on a pro-rata basis, should I at a later point in time, become a member of a competing German Shepherd Dog organization."

This seems to me a terrible requirement to ask of its members. First, as a newbie I am not clear who or what constitutes "a competing German Shepherd Dog organization," and so I am not sure how I would ensure I would stay in the good graces of USCA. Second, an organization that bans its members from being a member of another organization seems not only an incredibly weak and defensive requirement, but also a deeply un-American and monopolistic impulse. I'd much prefer a club that is focused on being an excellent club and community, and letting excellence speak for itself rather than trying to lock members in and restrict their abilities to join any other clubs.

This seems to stand in stark contrast to the open stance of the PSAK9 American Schutzhund effort (as excerpted from their announcement Facebook post, shared elsewhere in this forum):

"American Schutzhund is an all breed working dog organization. It was not created to divide and or replace any current working dog organizations. This organization will accept memberships from already established clubs as well as new clubs. Also, all individual persons not affiliated with any clubs are also welcomed to join. In other words, all are welcomed to join and still belong to any other working dog organization. There’s absolutely no reason to give up any affiliations you and or your club already have. We encourage you to work your dog to the best of it’s ability in any sport you deem important."

I am attracted to the PSAK9 position/language. The USCA language gives me significant pause to considering joining USCA. Interestingly, USCA does not have the "competing club" membership ban language in the terms and conditions of their web-based version membership application. I wonder if this is a new requirement that USCA is imposing on its members in response to a perceived threat by the American Schutzhund effort that is discussed in this thread, and it is just a sloppy and incomplete application of the ban langauge across their application platforms; or if USCA had the requirement and then thought better of it and have not updated their PDF membership application to remove it? Either way, the fact that USCA's had or has this position gives me significant pause about joining.

Any thoughts or insights on the requirement by USCA and whether it is at all related to the PSAK9 American Schutzhund effort?
That statement has/had nothin to due with psa. If you read, it says competing German shepherd dog organization, not all breed organization.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
@ATR

That statement from the USCA has nothing to do with PSA or AS.

I would highly suggest you send an email to the USCA for clarification as there was a reason for this clause. As a USCA member you can join the GSDCA as well so I suspect you have a old copy.

And no. Lol. It is not due to a perceived threat from AS. That rule was in play long before AS was created. So contact the USCA instead of making outlandish assumptions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That statement has/had nothin to due with psa. If you read, it says competing German shepherd dog organization, not all breed organization.
Hi, Bearshandler, thanks so much for this information. Do you have a sense of what organizations those would be? Being new to both the breed and exploring the sport, I still don't know who is perceived as a "competing" organization. For example, does that mean one couldn't be a member of the German Shepherd Dog Club of America?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It would help to start a new thread rather than revive an old one.
LuvShepherds - Ok, I'm sorry not totally at home with message forums/proper etiquette re. existing thread on topic versus new thread. I will start a new thread as you suggest.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
I suggested it because a lot of us look at start dates and won’t post in a very old thread, so you won’t get the replies you want. The original posters aren’t usually even here anymore.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I suggested it because a lot of us look at start dates and won’t post in a very old thread, so you won’t get the replies you want. The original posters aren’t usually even here anymore.
I think bringing up old threads is fine....it gives insight into the discussion and even though older posts(members) aren't active, they have knowledge and no reason to bury a thread just because it is old.

USCA has had that clause for quite a few years, there was a bit of division with the GSDCA and they didn't want members belonging to both organizations.
American Schutzhund has grown since this thread was started. I look forward to see it get stronger.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts