German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
12,136 Posts
What we do is have the person bring the dog out around the members. We want to see how he/she is in the strange environment and around people. Then we have the handler play with the dog. After that we will usually do a little rag work to see if the dog is interested and maybe some suspicion work to see how the dog responds. We also will test sound sensitivity while the handler plays with the dog. We also interact with the handler to make sure they have a good understanding of the time commitment SchH involves and the rules of our club. If the dog is suitable we tell them. If not we also tell them.

· Premium Member
12,136 Posts
A lot can be seen in these evaluations if the helper and/or the TD know what they are looking for. Evaluating young puppies is different than young dogs and I, personally, would not be as critical of a pup. Young dogs are different.

· Premium Member
12,136 Posts
To go along with what Al is saying. Most people come out one time. We do a little bit with the dog, but mostly we are evaluating the person. Unless the dog shows major nerve issues we are pretty encouraging to people. The real evaluation comes later. We require people to come out to the club from start to finish for 4-8 weeks. After that time if they are still showing excellent dedication and we feel they may fit in our club they are allowed to start training their dog/puppy. This period also takes another 4-8 weeks and at this time we are better able to evaluate the dog/puppy plus the handlers willingness to spend the time training. The biggest obstacle for people is that first evaluation period without the dog.

Something that we have now changed is anyone that comes out interested in the club during the winter must wait until we start tracking again before the second half of the evaluation. We have had a couple of people join during the winter who were great when coming to training at 10, but have had a tough time with the idea of 8 AM. As I constantly remind our members, SchH involves 3 phases, not just two. :)

· Premium Member
12,136 Posts
We had a guy come out last weekend who decided that standing around out in the cold was not his thing. He left after tracking. :rofl: We have had people come out, spend weeks training and then decide that this just isn't for them. The longer I do this the pickier I am becoming about people I am willing to allow into the club. Like Al, we want people that are dedicated to the club, want to help, train and title their dogs, and people that have their own engines (this is a huge problem).

· Premium Member
12,136 Posts
You could always move to MI or back to OH. We allow Buckeye fans in our club. ;)

· Premium Member
12,136 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.