German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, any advice on schutzhund club or any club that can help me with future training near Rochester? Buffalo and Syracuse are within ideal range! PA could be too far away for 3.5-4 hr one way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi guys, any advice on schutzhund club or any club that can help me with future training near Rochester? Buffalo and Syracuse are within ideal range! PA could be too far away for 3.5-4 hr one way.
Ideally, it should be “pet” friendly since I’m new to this sport and I’m not bringing a well-trained dog.

·
Registered
33,005 Posts
look on Germanshepherddog.com for usca clubs. There are several in Buffalo, a couple in the Albany area. Look on the GSDCA site as well. DVG may have some. As far as I know, there are no IGP clubs in the Rochester area anymore. Empire Working Dog Club is an AS club now. However, you can do private obedience/tracking lessons with the trainers at Proformance K9.

FYI - the club will evaluate your dog to determine if it is suitable for the sport. Clubs don't do pet training. If your dog is not suitable, you may be able to focus on obedience for an OB title or tracking for a TR title. If your dog does not have the drives for the sport, you may be able to work with one of the members for general pet obedience outside of the club.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
look on Germanshepherddog.com for usca clubs. There are several in Buffalo, a couple in the Albany area. Look on the GSDCA site as well. DVG may have some. As far as I know, there are no IGP clubs in the Rochester area anymore. Empire Working Dog Club is an AS club now. However, you can do private obedience/tracking lessons with the trainers at Proformance K9.

FYI - the club will evaluate your dog to determine if it is suitable for the sport. Clubs don't do pet training. If your dog is not suitable, you may be able to focus on obedience for an OB title or tracking for a TR title. If your dog does not have the drives for the sport, you may be able to work with one of the members for general pet obedience outside of the club.
Thanks I am going to start training with Tim from Proformancek9 next week. I believe I’m committed and also I don’t hold a high goal since I take those sports for a better engagement and team work for me and the new pup. I did ask the breeder for potential IGP sport so it’s at least worth a try.

·
Registered
33,005 Posts
Thanks I am going to start training with Tim from Proformancek9 next week. I believe I’m committed and also I don’t hold a high goal since I take those sports for a better engagement and team work for me and the new pup. I did ask the breeder for potential IGP sport so it’s at least worth a try.
Tim is good. He learned from the best. I would suggest you not ask for advice over the internet and wait for him so you don't confuse yourself and the puppy. If you want to do IGP then you need a good foundation designed for the sport. Work on engagement and playing until you meet with him.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tim is good. He learned from the best. I would suggest you not ask for advice over the internet and wait for him so you don't confuse yourself and the puppy. If you want to do IGP then you need a good foundation designed for the sport. Work on engagement and playing until you meet with him.
Yeah I know. As a new handler, can’t wait to learn and don’t want to miss any check point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts