German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Folks

I have a 7.5 month old GSD who really enjoys scent games, nose work activities. Any recommendations where i can find more exercises activities I can do with him(besides Schutzhund Club)? Guide, website, clubs or book recommendations…. What about local clubs or organizations that specialize in scent work and training for dogs. I am in the San Francisco/Santa Cruz Bay Area.

Thanks so much

·
Registered
258 Posts
There are scent detection trials on a sporting level for dogs, I cannot aim you in any direction for your area being in Canada myself; but a quick internet search found me the US Canine Scent Sports website. It looks as though they host trials, not sure if they have links to trainers or clubs around the country though. A schutzhund or IGP club would be focused on tracking more so than scent detection.

If I had saved the videos I used when I started Finn I'd share, but I went on youtube and searched until I found something that I could get behind as a plan to start out and went from there. Hopefully some other members pipe up as the resources within this group are great. I made my own scent boxes out of rubbermaid bins and ordered the essential oils they use at trials online.

Best of luck, hope you find someone with geographically relevant info on here to guide you!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are scent detection trials on a sporting level for dogs, I cannot aim you in any direction for your area being in Canada myself; but a quick internet search found me the US Canine Scent Sports website. It looks as though they host trials, not sure if they have links to trainers or clubs around the country though. A schutzhund or IGP club would be focused on tracking more so than scent detection.

If I had saved the videos I used when I started Finn I'd share, but I went on youtube and searched until I found something that I could get behind as a plan to start out and went from there. Hopefully some other members pipe up as the resources within this group are great. I made my own scent boxes out of rubbermaid bins and ordered the essential oils they use at trials online.

Best of luck, hope you find someone with geographically relevant info on here to guide you!
Thanks so much i will keep you updated! I did just find out about a place in Holllister called K9You which is hosting a Halloween sniff n go event on October 30. Im going to probably check it out. Since its for all levels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts