German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked a bunch of times, sorry for repetitive post if it is...

Working line GSD puppy purchased with IGP club training plans - and then comes the PANDEMIC... Which is fine in some respects, I can keep him busy enough to not have a disaster on my hands. With the end seemingly not quite in sight in Ontario I'm just wondering what is the best way to start a dog into scent detection or tracking?

I've searched around online and can find a million different suggestions and methods - some say start right into a track outdoors, scent pad with reward to begin and progress from there - others say start indoors with boxes and teach to alert when desired item is found.

I'm thinking this is the right place to find some experienced handlers - I'd like to start this stage to keep in line with IGP training eventually - Finn is 10months old now, so likely starting a bit late but I'm looking forward to some fun training with him.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've learned most of my detection skills from Mike Suttle (from before he was as popular as he is these days). His method of training puppies works. We have modified some of it for our own use but overall I love how the commitment and indication is built from the very beginning.

·
Registered
31,510 Posts
I would recommend Dave Kroyer as well. it's only $10 a month and he has a whole line of videos for sport training. Plus a facebook page where you can ask questions and he will answer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've learned most of my detection skills from Mike Suttle (from before he was as popular as he is these days). His method of training puppies works. We have modified some of it for our own use but overall I love how the commitment and indication is built from the very beginning.
thank you ... I shall research his methods

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would recommend Dave Kroyer as well. it's only $10 a month and he has a whole line of videos for sport training. Plus a facebook page where you can ask questions and he will answer.
Thank you, this could result in the biggest fun disaster of self training ever lol I will look up Kroyer!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Do you mean nosework? For SDDA or CKC? If so, then I recommend the Fenzi Dog Sports Academy classes. The next session starts June 1st, with registration opening on May 22nd. Fenzi Dog Sports Academy - Home

1 - 8 of 8 Posts