German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So articles are expensive!!

A few months back I made some cheap dumbbell style articles to train with Shane, the metal ones are holding up great, the leather ones simply just stink on ice. I couldnt find the right materials to make a proper leather article, but the easy to work with aluminum for the metal ones was no problem, they sell all I need for them at Home Depot.

So now that Shane is going for run-thru's and I also want to rent ring time at a facility to work on performing around distractions, I need new articles, I would love to just buy a whole new set (leather & metal), but my budget is kinda tight and I want to save money if I can, especially since we wont be trialing in utility for a looooooooooong time. So I was thinking of just buying the leather articles from jjdog.com and keeping the metal ones I made. Now they are the same measurements (2 1/2" ends and 3 1/2" bit) but Im guessing the overall shape will differ somewhat and the diameter of the bit may be different also. I just want to make sure that this wont be a problem before I make my purchase. From what I understand, its 5 identical metal, 5 identical leather, so its okay if the metal ones are not identical to the leather?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Kelly,

You're right
As long as the metal are identical and the leather are identical that's all that matters. Your articles do not have to all be the same.

I have seen many different types of articles and by no means do you have to purchase the expensive dumbbell looking ones!
Happy Training!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I thought I was right, but I just wanted to double check!

The dumbbell style seems to be quick and easy for him to pick up so Im just going to stick with that. I actually started training him with metal D-rings and rectangular strips of leather from a belt.

at jjdog, I can get 5 leather articles for under $50, so I figure thats not so bad at all. I looked around at other sites, and some sets go for $200-$400!!!! Yikes I couldnt imagine spending that much for articles!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts