German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a deal with a farmer who raises healthy animals, no nothing and free ranging. I buy his still-born piglets, lambs etc but also some who have had an accident like the sow laid on them and the piglets died. I love this deal as the animals are intact and form a great balanced meal. Yesterday's piglets were just the right size for one good raw meal for both and I didn't have to cut these cuties up (honestly, it is tempting to give them a burial). It was their second piglet meal. The first one was a few weeks older and much bigger so I had to cut it up with the moral support of a friend. It is really hard to cut up something so cute, even when thawed.
This time it was different for Griff. I put it in his bowl so he would make the association with food but he jumped back with his hackles up as this "food" could attack him any time. In the meantime Deja didn't have to think twice and only needed a few minutes to devour the little pig. Griff, however, took long and refused to open it up. So I made one cut as a compromise.
"Hmm, it smells like food.... but it is soooooo scaaaaaary. Nope, not doing this."
Now I had to put Deja in the house as she was determined to help him out. OK, new compromise, I cut the back end off and put it in his bowl. "Now, we're talking, I can handle this." And he ate it. Next, the front end, still lyng on the lawn.
"Hmm, smells like food too. Touch with my nose? OK. It doesn't move, use my front teeth to caaaaarefuly grab a leg. Eeeeeeek! It moved!" Griff, my big 68 # wolfy-lookalike, jumping back and barking at the one-pound enemy.
"Geez, wanna eat so bad. Sneaking up now and try again, how did my ancestors do this?"
He finally got it and ate it. My hubby and I witnessed this and laughed. I decided not to film this graphic scene but now regret it a bit.
In the evening he was super tired and calm. Must have been a nervy experience that took a lot out of him. I wondered if this meal would remain inside them over night and kept my fingers crossed. It was completely digested.
I realized that he is possibly entering a fear stage ( 8 months old) as a few days ago he barked, hackles up, at a tree stump that has been here forever. Sometimes I can't wait until he is an adult but these kinda situations makes his adolescence totally worth it.

·
Super Moderator
7,077 Posts
Lol!He had to be sure it wasn't just playing dead and wouldn't jump up and bite:)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
LOL how funny!! I had rabbits with fur on it and Valor was concerned. "Should I eat this? Ok to bite this?" My terrier was like "is it dead? Can I kill it again"

That is great about being able to use stillborn live stock. Waste not want not. I can see it being sad, as piglets are so cute :/ It is a good thing though.

One question, did you freeze them first? Honestly asking because I was told to freeze ALL free range prey before feeding. I hunt, and get a hog every year. Was told to definitely freeze fiorst especially hog. I totally forget the parasite they mentioned though :shrug:

Valor spooked a little bit for like a month right around that age..just at objects though. Like, a sudden potted plant, stuff like that. It would spook him at first but then he would right away go cautiously sniff it and then be fine. It happened like 3 times that I can remember. One was a very short fire hydrant. One was a big potted plant on a corner. OH! And my daughter's Lush bath bomb when it suddenly fizzed and spiraled in her bath lol It went on for like 3 weeks or so, this stage, then it just passed.

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are so fun and annoying sometimes, at this age. I forgot the spooky fire hydrants. One foster dog wagged her tail at them as she thought they were kids.
Yes, I get that cute meat solidly frozen. They save several in the freezer until it is worth the trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts