German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cain gave me a scare this morning. I opened the back slider for the dogs' first trip out this morning. Cain darts out the door and immediately grabs a dead rat and swallows it
. <GAG>

I immediately come in and grab the peroxide and give him a dose and he throws up but, of course, no dead rat.
. We live in an area where it is common for people to put out rat poison so I call my vet's office and we head in with him. They give him more peroxide and but still no rat. (Not sure if this is his way of requesting a switch to a barf diet
) My vet has given him an injection of Vitamin K and he will be on Vit. K capsules until Wed. and we will check his clotting time then.

We will have to cancel training until his recheck appointment. I've decided I'm really tired all this and it's only 10:30 a.m.! Please add us to any prayers/good thoughts list.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My prayers are with you and Cain. Pandora did something similar when she was younger and we never had the dead animal come back up but she was okay.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Oh you poor girl, will send prayers your way. These dogs just have a way to drive us NUTS!!!

I came home from shopping let my girl out of her crate,(before everything was away- stupid) and she stuck her head in a bag grab something and took off :-0. Ran after her fingers in her mouth - and hit it out - of course got my fingers cut from back teeth
But it was out - turns out she grab a slice of turkery meatloaf - but out it went, didn't want her to feel she did good - and with her problems lately wasn't taken any chances - so now she waits until I unpack everything!

Maybe you need to check the yard for any dead rats before they go out - I know it's a pain - but my girl only goes out with a leash, even with the 6 ft fence - too many animals -

Fingers crossed & prayers going your way!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Scary morning got scarier

The saga continues......We just returned from the vet. Cain has suffered an allergic reaction to the vitamin K injection. Poor dog swelled up with hives. His face looked more like an Akita, hives inside his mouth, necked swelled till his fursaver got tight, rear legs were swelling and he was having trouble to breathe.

We are back home after IV prednisone and benedryl. I feel like I am going to collapse

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Re: Scary morning got scarier

Nora & Cain

So sorry you're having such a terrible day, hope Cain's feeling better soon!!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the good thoughts and prayers. He's much improved!!! His forehead may still have a bit of swelling but all in all much better. He's quieter than normal from all the benedryl.....I think I'm going to take a couple myself!

My vet kept thanking me for being so watchful of him....I kept thinking if I was that watchful he wouldn't have gotten the stinking dead rat to begin with....he really succeeded in scaring me today.

I really love the big goof even when he scares the life out of me.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I am hoping that even if the rat was poisoned it didn't have enough poison in it to kill a dog. I would be worried and would have rushed him to the vet too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cain doesn't seem any worse for wear. I have been giving his Vitamin K capsules with Benedryl just to be on the safe side. This morning DH gave his meds when he got up at 5:00 so I would have time to be here if he had any type of reaction. Only thing I have noticed is that the poor boy can't get enough water and then of course what goes in must come out
. I'll be glad when this episode is over!

To cap this "wonderful" weekend off though......our hot water heater gave up yesterday
. So no hot water till tonight when DH gets home from work with reinforcements. If bad things happen in 3s, we are in the clear now

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Goodness just saw this! Very scary!

Hoping he is doing better.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cain had his blood work pulled today....my vet is a sweetheart and arranged a special pick up so we will have the results tomorrow. I am crossing my fingers, toes and eyes that everything comes back normal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nora,

My thoughts are with you as we have a neighbor that has used rat poison in the past. I am so careful with the dogs but it just takes a minute--as you know.

Please keep us posted! What a day for you & Cain

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Betty,

Not yet but we should sometime today. Dr. McC arranged a special pick up of the blood and will get the results today. She is such a caring person and made me giggle while she was drawing his blood yesterday. As the syringe was filling she was saying to him really quietly "NO more rats bud!" and as I looked over I see Cain's tongue flick out and get her on the end of her nose.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts