German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the day before Christmas, we were going around visiting friends and dropping off presents, etc. Zorro, our 4 months old puppy was with us too in the SUV. One of our friends insisted we stay back for lunch and so we did. But they don't like pets in their house. Since I hadn't brought his crate along, I was hesitant to leave Zorro alone in the car (never done that before). So, as a compromise we tied his leash to a volley ball pole that our friends had in their backyard (no fence) and we could keep an eye on him from the house. I kept checking on him every 5 minutes or so. However, we sat down for lunch longer than that. After wolfing down my lunch I went out to see Zorro has pulled down the volley ball pole and is gone !! The neighborhood was entirely new for Zorro, so he could be anywhere. My friend's house is 2000 yards from the river and I started searching up and down the stream. I went nuts searching for him ! He is tagged and chipped, but that's secondary. I came back to get my phone and realized it's in the car. I went to the driveway to find my little baby sitting right next to the only thing he could recognize in that neighborhood..our SUV !! He was waiting there for us to come back !
Intelligent puppy !!
needless to mention I'm not taking any chances next time on.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
That would have scared me to death too! Glad he's ok. Smart little guy!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hope you gave him lots of praise for being such a good boy! I can just imagine how scared you must have been.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
OMG, that would have taken years off my life! Glad it turned out okay.

·
Registered
31,978 Posts
You have an SUV. Get a crate to spruce it up. There are many, many reasons why this is a great idea.

1. In the event of an accident, your puppies crate can save his life. If your car is really in bad shape, the dog will be most likely found and cared for if he is in a crate.

2. GSDs shed more hair than you can imagine. A crate keeps the hair in the rest of the vehicle in check.

3. In the crate, the puppy is unlikely to chew on anything dangerous while you are in the store or busy driving.

4. If you travel with your pet, and you decide to lay over at a friends or relative's house for the night, the crate can be easily moved into the house for bedding the puppy down.

5. If your dog does get sick or has an accident in the vehicle, a crate is much easier to clean than carpeting.

There are others. This is scary, not cute at all. You got lucky. Puppies will often chew through a lead, slip a collar, pull out a tie out. The pup could have drown, been hit by a car, or lost for days. Four month old puppies can get themselves in a world of hurt. I am glad that did not happen, but I think you were lucky.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i'm glad things worked out for you and the pup. when my dog was 4 months
i started teaching him how to ride in the car. then i taught him to lay down automatically when my GF or i exit the car.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
One other thing to remember is that a tied up dog, especially in an unfenced yard is at the mercy of any other dog. Even if you heard barking a lot of damage can be done by the time you run out there.

Happy everything turned out good!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts