German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my dog went to the vet to get his Pain patch removed after ACL surgery and to have his bandage removed. I brought him, and the main vet I love and see ususally was not there, so I saw another one. He told me that he would put another bandage on him. So I waited for 30 minutes while he did that. They made me pay, and we went home. Well 1 hour later, I get a call from the vet saying that the vet should of not put on another bandage, but just left it bare, and that they will credit me the money in the future for what they charged me. I got told I could wait till the bandage starts to fall off, or unwrap it in a couple days. Well this morning I woke up, bandage still on, and his foot was HUGE so swollen and bleeding. We took of the bandage rigth away and called the vet. He said that the bandage was cutting off the ciruclation and we did the right thing by removing it, if the swelling does not go down in an hour, then to bring him in. It did go down, thankfully, and I am bringing him into the vet in an hour just to be safe. It still looks red and a little swollen. I feel pissed that they wrapped it so tight. I hope he is OK. Thanks for listening to me vent.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Oh Natalie, I am so sorry! What an awful thing to go through. I really hope your dog is feeling much, much better. To go through this so soon after his ACL while he is still recovering is tough on you both. Sending good thoughts that he has no setbacks, and that the vet's office gives you at least an extra free check to be sure no damage was done. I am sure he will be fine, but what a scary day! You did the right thing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Patti. Its so hard to know after surgery if the swelling you see is normal or not. But after removing the bandage and seeing the swelling going down do quickly, I know it was the bandage. We also massaged his foot to get the blood flow back. That helped a lot too.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Give pupster a treat from me and Lucy! He deserves it.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
It is difficult to wrap a dog's leg and get the right amount of tension, because they are laying down. They should have told you to check the bandage a couple times to make sure it wasn't too tight.

When Lakota had has ACL done, he didn't even come home with a bandage.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know. Mistakes happen, and I should Of checked. I'm just thankful that he is OK right now. We will see after the Apt.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Wow, Natalie - I'm really sorry about that! It's scary to think that some people passed the test to become a DVM! I would definitely complain to the vet you like, maybe even in writing. One time my cousin's baby was sick, and they put a tourniquet on his thigh for some reason (can't remember if they were getting blood from a leg or what). When my cousin got her baby home, he was really fussy, crying, etc. She pulled his pants down to check his diaper, and the nurse at the hospital had left the tourniquet on his leg!!! Some people are morons...

Good luck @ your appt - hope it goes well! Give your dog a treat from me, too!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks you guys! The vet checked him out and said that he still has some swelling, but is OK. Thank God!!! When the vet did check him he cried so hard, they gave him some tranquilizers to help him relax to check him out some more. The thing I hate is I keep having to get him in the car to take him to the vet Apts. I hate having to move him so much. Tomorrow is 7 days post surgery. So far, it is a slow one. The nights are the worst for him. He is in the kitchen, but cried a lot at night wanting to be next to us. We spent a night on the floor sleeping with him...and boy was he happy. But boy were we tired the next day. Hopefully with each day it will get better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I also have a ramp, but he's scared of it. We been working for almost a year of getting him over that, but its an ongoing battle.He made a little progress, but after surgery, he were not going to push it, so we lift him for now. He's a funny dog. Also scared of the Vacume cleaner, the hairdryer, the broom, the snow shovel etc... Since he was a little guy, he been afraid of all this stuff. He is getting better with training.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
natalie, how is the foot today.

I bought a ramp for my guy also, he used it for a while. Then he didn't want to use it so I had to boost the big 100 lb moose into the suburban. He puts he front feet up on the floor on the truck and gets his good leg on he running rail and looks back at me, like OK mom give me a boost.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
nATALIE, how is the patient today? Doing well i hope?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Guys,Thanks for asking. Jack's foot is so much better as far as swelling goes, but has some bleeding down around his ankle where the fur is missing. The dr. seems to think it is irratation...makes sense since that is where it bends. It just looks horrible, probally worse than it is. The Dr said we could put some antibiotic cream on it, which we did. It still makes me nervous. I took off work today, so I can keep an eye on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts