German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I groom dogs, and have access to the grooming shop 24/7. The tub is elevated, which is great, but getting big dogs in it is kind of a pain. They are rarely cooperative, and it takes two of us to heave them in there.

When I take the GSDs to the shop to give them baths, I get them to put their feet on the edge of the tub, and then shove them in. Takes two of us at first to teach this, since the dog always takes their feet off as soon as you move.

Here’s an old fuzzy photo of Sage standing in front of the tub, so you can see how high it is.

Fast forward to teaching Scarlet.

My friend and I are getting ready to put her feet on the edge and shove her in. I tap the edge of the tub and say “up up”. Scarlet, flat footed, springs like a gazelle and bounces up into the tub. All by herself. We just stared at each other wordlessly. Well, good dog Scarlet, lol.

The little stinker in question:

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She’s very athletic. She also has a tendency to walk on her hind legs like a bear, and does lots of leaping (like a gazelle). She’s pretty entertaining.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Hahaha! Smart girl! I love their gazelle jumps. It's hilarious to watch them spring up on all fours.
I owned a dog for 13 years who thought fences were there for him to climb or jump. I actively discouraged jumping with Shadow to the point that she doesn't really know she can. It's a pain now because she will put her front feet up and then look to me for the lift, Lol.

Scarlet is very pretty btw.

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know she could scramble over my 6 ft stockade fence, but I don’t want her to know she can! I’d have to invest in coyote rollers, lol.

And thanks! She is a pretty girl. She’s finally growing some coat, after being rat tail naked for several weeks. We have a dog show a couple of hours away this weekend, but I may have to cancel. Too hot to take the minivan whose A/C went out, and I think I have a water pump issue in the MINI Cooper. I love that particular dog show, so I’m kind of disappointed. We’ll see.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
When I built Buds dog run I purposely left the chain link a bit loose. The old guys told me that it discouraged climbing since it moved a bit when they put their feet on it, and it works! A six foot wood fence did not even slow Bud down and he could almost clear it in one jump, drove me crazy. Plus he was like one of those parkour guys so anything near him he would use.

Sucks that you will miss the show, I enjoy your pictures. Could you rent a van?

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I built Buds dog run I purposely left the chain link a bit loose. The old guys told me that it discouraged climbing since it moved a bit when they put their feet on it, and it works! A six foot wood fence did not even slow Bud down and he could almost clear it in one jump, drove me crazy. Plus he was like one of those parkour guys so anything near him he would use.

Sucks that you will miss the show, I enjoy your pictures. Could you rent a van?

Lol, parkour. That’s my Scarlet.

I’m going to see who here in the metro is going. Maybe we can hitch a ride to the show.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
It always amazed me how high my dogs could jump and I don't think any of mine were ever in the gazelle league. Luckily, none of them ever seemed interested in jumping the fence to the backyard for which I am truly thankful. Scarlet is a beauty and so was Sage!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts