German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we've recently moved to the country. Yippee for us; privacy, land and more bugs! In 26 years of my life I've never actually seen a tick until tonight. We spend a lot more time in the woods now and tonight I pulled two ticks off Stark. One was just crawling around on his fur and one was biting him. I used a pair of hot tweezers to get the tick to stop biting and then I pulled it off of him. He is taking a flea, tick, heartworm preventative. He was taking the k9 advantix, but he took an oral medicine last time, I cant remember the name of it off the top of my head. Im sorry if I could have found the answer to this in older threads but Im kind of freaking out as I know someone who has a lost a dog to lyme disease. What exactly does the preventative do? Is it supposed to prevent the tick from biting him? Ive had him tested a while ago for tick bourne illness because he had an unexplained incident that looked like lyme disease. All tests came back negative.
I guess I just need to know if I need to worry? Will he still get ticks even though he takes the medication? Does it just mean that he wont catch anything? Is there anything else I can be doing to prevent ticks?
Thanks so much for any help!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Is Lyme disease common in your area? I have been bitten by ticks my whole life and never had a problem. There is no need to be terrified if you are using the Advantix per the package instructions. It is supposed to kill the tick before it bites your dog I believe. I have combed plenty of dead ones out of my dog's fur. I know they are creepy little buggers but don't let it get you down.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
You should not use anything hot to remove the tick. It can cause them to regurgitate back inot the bite and it is the saliva which causes infection.

A tick must be attached at LEAST 24 hours to transmit Lyme (I think it is 36). Personally I am liking the tick twister though since I started feeding springtime garlic I have not seen one on the dog but it is early in the season and this is my first year. I have definitely pulled off ticks earlier though and usually have some on my clothes when I get back. [even with repellants designed for people]

Tick checks need to be a daily part of life. The longer they are attached, the higher the probability of any diseases being transmitted though some can transmit with first bite.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts