German Shepherds Forum banner

Scared of my neighbors dogs

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  VegasResident 
#1 ·
I have had GSD's in the past and we purchased an 8 week old female with a nice working blood-line of SchH1,2 and 3. This is my first GSD as an actual owner (parent's dogs before) and i have a question about her behavior. She is almost 5 months old now and i can see her protective instincts coming out, but when it comes to my neighbors dogs, she is scared. They are a female pit-bull and a Chow/Akita Mix and come out very aggressively towards our fences when they see my dog out. The fences are both chain-link and have a good 12 ft between them, so they are not touching. I have shown her that i am not scared of them and my JRT (aggressive male) doesn't put up with their crap at all (i don't think he would be scared of a Lion to be honest with you). She will stand her ground at first, but once they start barking and carrying-on she heads for the hills. I have shown her repeatedly that i am not afraid of them and she is reluctant to come back out with me when she knows they are there. I am hoping that this is just a phase she is going through since she is so young, but i just want any information i can get about what to do if i am doing something wrong. My neighbor is an a$$ and won't let them actually meet in a nice environment, i have already asked.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Can you put weaving through the chain link fence so she can't see them? Not sure where you see protective instincts coming out but at this age, she's too young to be protective, it's fear.

I would do my best to stop her interactions with these dogs so she doesn't become dog reactive. Can you block their view? Set up a system with your neighbor so they aren't out at the same time?

Are you socializing her a ton to nice people and dogs?
She has been socialized to the bone. Ever since we had her she has gone to both my son's football practices that are just full of people and other animals. 4 times a week for 2 hours. It even included some GSD's from a Schutzhund Club that were just as nice and obedient as could be. foot-ball is now over and we just go for walks. She does love other people and dogs, it is just these two. And to make matters worse, my neighbors dogs got out this morning and were chasing a lady who was jogging with her Doberman. Dobie didn't like that they were charging and reacted to protect his master. The pit-bull ran off and the Akita mix is now going to the hospital. I couldn't believe my eyes. Scary stuff.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
At 5 months old, she is a baby. It is smart for a puppy to be afraid of two adult dogs who are threatening her. That isn't a fight she would ever be able to win and she knows it. She doesn't understand that the fences are keeping them apart and sees them as a real threat. Likely you are making her fear worse by trying to convince her it's no big deal and to wanting her to "stand her ground" (which makes it a bigger deal). With those mixes, I absolutely would not suggest trying to change the owner's mind about them meeting. Both breeds were selectively bred for fighting/animal and dog aggression. Not all dogs want to be doggy friends.

For now, when they come out I would just go to the farthest part of your yard away from the neighbors dogs and go about normal stuff (and most important act normally). If your GSD comes up to you, give her a treat. If your JRT wants a treat or to play with toys do so with him. make it obvious that you go about your normal routine no matter what those neighbor dogs are doing. If the first few times you do this, she doesn't participate that is fine. Just interact with the JRT. Soon the GSD should start to feel more confident and like she is missing out on fun with you. Play and rewards for coming to you while the scary dogs will be your best bet in getting her confidence up about them.

I would probably put up a privacy fence on that side or plant some sort of view blocking hedges or vines between the two fences. I wouldn't want to deal with that sort of behavior from the neighbor dogs on a daily basis and it is stressful for your dogs to deal with it, even the GSD.
I used to have hedges there and ripped them out about 3 years ago. I might go with those colored strips that go in between the fencing. Maybe the wifey will even let me get one of those PVC fences. I'll tell her it's my christmas present. Thanks for the tips, that is what i am going to do, or try and do :) I will admit that my JRT can't stand those dogs and when he even hears them he gets pissed off. That dog would protect me from anything

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I was told by my local schutzhund club that she has promising signs and is showing her protective instincts. They did some testing to look for that at a young age and i was told that she will be a good guardian. That is the only reason i mentioned that. She definitely lets you know if someone is around. Thanks for all the info and i will definitely set-up some sort of privacy fencing to keep those bullies out of sight, at least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.