German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Zelda is about 9 months old now and she doesn’t have a problem with stairs and steps. Except for this one staircase that leads to my buildings parking garage, she’s completely fine with the other stairs that take you up to the apartments. Why is she scared and how can I help her?
What she does is whine and pull on her leash, if that doesn’t work for her to get away then she lays down on the floor with her head down on the floor.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
757 Posts
Are those stairs open in the back and the others closed? Many dogs have a problem with open stairs, they can typically go down but have problem with up where the can see through the stair.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Often pups are worried about open-back stairs (ones with no riser). When my pup was young (4-5 months old), I looked around to find stairs like that to train him on so that he wouldn't fear them. I used a combination of treats, praise, and a favorite tug toy to distract and lure him up the steps to the top. Once he'd done it successfully a few times, he no longer worried about them.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
Maybe try the Temple Granden (sp) thing ---- put yourself at the dog's eye level and look at those stairs. Look around. That might clue you as to what's going on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts