German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my husband and I got a 8 week old GSD yesterday and I'm looking for some advice.

I went to go pick her up and immediately was terrified and freaked out. I should've known better, but I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt. On the ride home she whined and barked but being with someone new, I knew that was normal.
When I got home, my husband came out to get her (because she had pooped in the car and I needed to clean it). Well when he went to pick her up, she bit him pretty hard.
It's been a little 12 hours and she's still in her corner petrified.

We have 2 other dogs and have never had this problem with them. We also have 2 small children and I would hate for them to get bit as well and I just don't know how to go about this.
p.s. the kids are completely safe from the puppy, they don't even know she's here yet. I just need advice on how to break/train her to being more comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
Think seriously about returning her.It's not possible to change a dog's temperment, only manage it. Do you really want a puppy that is too dangerous to interact with your children?
Personally I have a weakness for shy dogs and get a lot of satisfaction working with them. They really aren't an ideal project for an average family that just wants a nice family dog.It's not a failure on your part at all, the breeder should have known better.

·
Banned
195 Posts
A reputable breeder would have listened to your temperament needs and select a pup as such. The pup you picked up has weak nerves and probably backyard bred. Best to return and get from a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Hello, my husband and I got a 8 week old GSD yesterday and I'm looking for some advice.

I went to go pick her up and immediately was terrified and freaked out. I should've known better, but I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt. On the ride home she whined and barked but being with someone new, I knew that was normal.
When I got home, my husband came out to get her (because she had pooped in the car and I needed to clean it). Well when he went to pick her up, she bit him pretty hard.
It's been a little 12 hours and she's still in her corner petrified.

We have 2 other dogs and have never had this problem with them. We also have 2 small children and I would hate for them to get bit as well and I just don't know how to go about this.
p.s. the kids are completely safe from the puppy, they don't even know she's here yet. I just need advice on how to break/train her to being more comfortable.
There's really nothing about that behavior that's "normal"! If an 8 wk old puppy is already fear biting, imagine what your life with this dog will be like...a nightmare! Take the puppy back and find a more stable puppy, this one WILL hurt your kids at some point!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts