German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum looking for answers. My girl Khaleesi is 9 months old...VERY social, I take her everywhere. She loves and is very social with new people or those she already knows. I started taking her everywhere with me soon as I brought her home introducing her to new people new sounds new sites new smells she did awesome and is confident in these situations. I also have a Malinios, Ruger he is very protective at home, well socialized loves everybody but when needed will protect. When at home if he hears something and barks it absolutely scares Khaleesi the gs pup to the point she runs and hides. When I take her out to potty after dark if she hears a noise she wants to run back in the house. Is this the norm for a 9 month old female? She has never barked in protective mode at anything since Ive had her. Thanks in advance for any answers.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Something similar @ my house. My two adults love to run and bark at night. One night when my pup was just a wee thing, maybe 10 weeks, MY Ruger ran up the hill in the dark barking like mad. I couldn't call him back so there was definitely something out there. Scared the crap out of my puppy, he was cowering beteeen my legs. I acutally called my husband out with the gun in case it was bear or something.

Fast forward....when the two older dogs would sound off the pup would run in the opposite direction. He is now 8 mo and barely getting more confident. Now sometimes he will run along with the female when she barks although he is mighty quick to comd when I call, because really he doesn't want to be out there with the boogey man.

I don't honestly know if it is the norm, but that's what happened with mine. I hope by the time he is an adult he isn't scared of the boogey man, but he is what he is. I try to make him feel safe even though I hope he gets more confident because I don't think pushing him out there and scaring him is gonna do it. There has been a slow and steady improvement in his confidence as he grows

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
PS back when their barking really scared him, I would call him over to sit by me and feed him cookies for that...he seemed to feek safe with me and it was something I could reinforce and something other than running and hiding (which he did at least once, maybe around 4 mo)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts