German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD is 3 years old. His symptoms are itchy skin EVERYWHERE. We used to pet his tummy and his leg would jerk like a tickling effect...now wherever we pet him his legs go nuts like its really soothing or tickling effect.

Arm pits sore red and hanging from itching/licking. Chest losing hair from itching so much. Anus red from the same. Sometimes his paws get really red from licking/nibbling.

For the last two years we've been going to the vet almost every few months for itchy skin. It has progressively gotten worse and worse.

They always say its food and give me some science diet food that costs around 70 dollars. Along with some pills and steroids.

The pills and steroids temp work but I'm 99% sure it's not a food allergy as he has been on 20 different foods and these symtoms still happen...

So I do more research and I come across Scabies...

My dog has all these symtoms. They've done ONE skin scrapping and it came negative but I read that this mainly happens 80% of the time because scabies are hard to find in dogs or in general.

Anyone have an experience with this? It's just exhausting paying 100-200 monthly for temp fixes and shots.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Sarcoptic mange would be the normal veterinary terminology for scabies in dogs. The easiest treatment would be Revolution (selamectin). Two applications should do it. If this works then it pretty well proves that sarcoptes mites are the issue.

However, when I received a puppy with sarcoptic mange for raising (for a guide dog agency) my wife and I were itching, too. We had all the normal symptoms of human scabies, except that when the dog cleared up we cleared up, too (canine sarcoptes mites can't sustain themselves on humans). So I would say that if you (and your family) don't have any symptoms then this might not be the correct diagnosis.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would go to another vet and get a second opinion.

I'm on my third vet. Maybe I'm the difficult one. I usually give them 2-3 visits.

First one goes like, dog allergy. Try this to clear it up. Do this food for so long. Second visit. So it cleared up but hes still itchy? Ok, keep going with food, heres some steroids for itchiness. Third visit? I dont even know. I'll either get a different vet this time, some did a skin scrape, one did a blood test but then found out later that vet isn't a true blood test place(?)

I dunno. It just gets really frustrating spending the money every time at different vets ontop of the close to 5,000 for surgery I spent on him for a birth defect.

Why is it so hard to find a vet that you can trust and that can TRUST you? Is it because they deal with a lot of uninformed pet owners everyday so they believe you're one of them? So even if I tell them I've done these tests and medication 500 times and it comes back a month later..they don't believe me or something.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sarcoptic mange would be the normal veterinary terminology for scabies in dogs. The easiest treatment would be Revolution (selamectin). Two applications should do it. If this works then it pretty well proves that sarcoptes mites are the issue.

However, when I received a puppy with sarcoptic mange for raising (for a guide dog agency) my wife and I were itching, too. We had all the normal symptoms of human scabies, except that when the dog cleared up we cleared up, too (canine sarcoptes mites can't sustain themselves on humans). So I would say that if you (and your family) don't have any symptoms then this might not be the correct diagnosis.
Yeah, I read that part of it but it also said it didn't usually go to humans until it was full blown on the dog. This last week/month its 10x worse than its ever been so I guess I'll keep a look out for my own scabies, lol.

Now thinking about this is making me itch!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Wrenny, what was the outcome with your GS? Bacchus just received a skin scraping but vet could not find anything but is still treating him for sarcoptic mange since he has all the classic signs (hair loss at tip of ears, belly, back legs and bald patches on the side of his flanks scratching uncontrollably at night. He has also lost 5 lbs. in the last four weeks.

Did your vet give your dog Ivermectin shot? IF so, how many shots did he have to get before you noticed results?

Any information that you can share with me would be helpful. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts