German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remy is now being treated for his second bout of Giardia. I'm pretty sure he got it at the dog park from contaminated water (I bring my own but sometimes he sneaks over to the community bowl) or even his tennis balls when they roll on the ground. I know a lot of people here are not fans of dog parks but we do like to go in the mornings when it's quiet to play fetch or soccer where he can really run it out.

Aside from hating to see my puppy suffer with tummy problems, it's expensive and generally unpleasant to deal with. We just can't go anymore and risk him getting it again.

So my question is, are there any preventive medications/supplements against giardia, or is there a chance that as an adult dog his immune system will be able to handle it? My previous dog never had issues with it. Just curious. Luckily we live in an area with good off-leash trails so we do have other options. I guess I'm about to get in really good shape because it's going to be all hiking in the mornings from now on!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Many users on this forum do not speak highly of dog parks. Mostly because of bad owners / poorly behaved, dominant dogs. This sounds like another reason to steer clear. I could have swore my vet gave our pup a vaccine for this, but I can't be sure. Maybe it was something else as everything I've read on the internet says the vaccine isn't really a vaccine and is more of a "treatment" option. I would have to check her records when I get home.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
are you sure its the dog park? from your previous posts it sounds like your dog has had diarrhea for a long time. all kinds of dogs drink dog park water. if your dog has diarrhea on and off then i'd fix that first before blaming an outside source. give him some green tripe. that stuff cleared out my pups stomach of a lot of bacteria and made his poop solid immediately.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boomer—yes, we've had quite a lot of bad diarrhea experiences. When he first came home, he had giardia and we treated him for it. Then it was a series of trial and error where we realized he has some food allergies and then sensitivities to rawhides and hot dogs. Once we got rid of those things we had a few GLORIOUS months of normal poops! Then it started back up again and I was trying to find the reason. We got him re-tested and giardia came back up. A few people at the dog park we frequent said their dogs had gotten it as well so I made an assumption that it may have come from there. Since the last dose of panacur we've had a week and a half of solid poops. Fingers crossed it stays that way, but I have read good things about green tripe so I will try it the next time he has an issue, thanks for the suggestion.

Nold, I'll ask my vet next time we go in if they offer that. I can live without going to the dog park most of the time but it would be a nice option every now and then.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
You can teach your pup not to drink water/swim in areas you don't want him to. Rafi knows commands like, "Get a drink" and "Go swimming" and he will wait until given the command if it's not his normal water bowl.

Giardia can be very hard to get rid of and often comes back. Dogs have to come in contact with infected poop (which could be in a stream but very unlikely to be in a water bowl) to get infected.

There is a great herbal product called, "Kocci Free" that really works for treating Giardia and Coccidia. I have recommended it to people who had tried multiple antibiotic treatments for their dogs and the giardia kept returning.

Coccidia & Giardia Natural Effective Treatment & Prevention

·
Registered
98 Posts
That I am aware of there is no vaccine. My friend contracted while traveling she was miserable and ended up hospitalized. Can take a long time to fully clear up. There was a company selling a med specifically for clearing it up, but they went out of business :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts