German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted my sweet girl Mazzy about 4 years ago (she was about 5 we figured). She was a mess at first. I volunteer at a GSD rescue and she was the one that was such a victim of abuse and neglect I knew she was going to have a hard time finding a good home - so I took her home myself. I won't lie it was tough at first, she hid in the backyard and wouldn't come into the house - I went outside into the bushes where she hid and hand fed her for about the first two months. As time went on ( and lots of treats) were exchanged she came out of her shell and turned into a loving, sweet girl who is the center of my world.

I've noticed of course she was getting more gray, and walking a little slower, but last week she developed a noticeable limp and the vet at the rescue mentioned back/hips so we stared some inflammatory and pain meds. I was bummed, but figured Ok we can deal with this. A couple of nights ago I found a lump on her belly and another visit to the vet -they say cancer and just pain pills until the quality of life sort of deal.

I'm heart broken - perhaps not too surprised - but it's just shitty. I'm trying to balance the happiness of her ( i drive her to her favorite bushes to look for lizards since it to far too walk now days), her favorite treats, and the guilt of is it time to say good bye or will the meds start working better (its only been a few days). This morning she won't eat - maybe the meds upset her belly or.....

i'm hoping this afternoon will be better, but know it may not - my hand keep hovering over the phone to schedule the last good bye call - it really sucks

mike

·
Registered
70 Posts
She is a really beautiful dog. You've given her a good home and a good life and changed her world. She will go knowing she was loved.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This always the hardest part of owning any pet. You gave her a wonderful life by deciding to adopt her so I’m sure you’ll make the right decision now for her. Hugs.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I’m so sorry. It’s the worst decision we have to make about our dogs. She may have been older than you thought. What a beautiful girl.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all I really appreciate the kind words - I'm going to spoil her the next day or two, marrow bones, ice cream and a nice steak or two, hopefully some improvement will occur....

I made the call to lay the ground work down for the home euthanasia depending on the next day or two - only time I ever cried in my life outside of my father passing -

·
Super Moderator
4,325 Posts
thanks all I really appreciate the kind words - I'm going to spoil her the next day or two, marrow bones, ice cream and a nice steak or two, hopefully some improvement will occur....

I made the call to lay the ground work down for the home euthanasia depending on the next day or two - only time I ever cried in my life outside of my father passing -
It's an honorable thing to do. Tough, but the right thing. Trust your gut.

I'm sorry for your situation. She sounds like a wonderful girl that landed in the absolute best of situations.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Im sorry you have come to this juncture. It is so very hard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts