German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m just curious what you all would do in this situation. My neighbors leave their golden retriever out in the cold for what seems to to 30 mins to an hour every night. It’s 9:46pm and 20 Fahrenheit with 3 inches of snow and he’s in their back yard barking non stop to be let in because I am sure he is freezing. This happened all last winter and I really don’t want that poor dog to go through that again this winter. Would you say something to them?

I live in PA which I believe has a law that no dog can be tied out more than 30 mins under 32 degrees Fahrenheit. My gf thinks I should just keep quiet because my gsd barks at night sometimes when a fire siren goes off etc and she doesn’t want it to turn into a war. I’m generally a person who tries to stay in my own lane and let ppl live however they want but that dog has to be freezing. I take my gsd in the snow a lot but we are out running and playing and golden retrievers are not known to be as rugged and cold resistant as a gsd. Their dog just sits there and barks and Has to be really cold

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I wouldn’t say anything unless I happened to be talking to the owner, then I might casually mention that their dogs barks at night when he’s outside and ask if everything is Ok. It’s hard to think they don’t notice the barking.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn’t say anything unless I happened to be talking to the owner, then I might casually mention that their dogs barks at night when he’s outside and ask if everything is Ok. It’s hard to think they don’t notice the barking.
I’m not worried about the barking, he can bark all night it doesn’t bother me. I’m more worried about the dog freezing or getting frostbite or something. 20 degrees plus wind and snow is pretty cold to just be sitting there

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I might be worried if the dog was a greyhound or whippet. But I would think that a golden retriever is fine for 30 minutes in that kind of cold. My dog spends that much time outside in sub-zero weather, then still wants to stay and play!

So, I'm with LS, I might mention it casually if already talking. But their dog is probably not going to be harmed by it IMO.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
I’m not worried about the barking, he can bark all night it doesn’t bother me. I’m more worried about the dog freezing or getting frostbite or something. 20 degrees plus wind and snow is pretty cold to just be sitting there
This is just the best way to ask your neighbor in person. Invite him over for some cheer (I mean the neighbor).

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Sometimes the power of suggestion is effective. If you are friendly with your neighbor and have casual conversations maybe commenting on how when it get really cold that "you" worry that "your" dog/s don't stay out too long in the cold because "you" worry about frostbite or whatever. A comment of the sort might plant the seed in your neighbors mind that it might not be a good idea to leave their dog out so long when it's frigid outside. If they suggest they disagree just be casual and let it go.
A safer way to bring it up without creating a conflict between you, your gf or your neighbor. Just plant the idea and see if it takes.

If a time comes when your are very concerned due to extreme cold and the dog is making a big fuss to go in you have another option. Many towns/cities have noise ordinances and nuisances barking laws. If it's after 10 pm (time usually set) and a dog is barking for more than 20 minutes continuously you can call your non emergency police line and file a complaint of a barking dog. If they send an officer and the dog is still barking they will knock and tell the owner a noise compliant was filed and have them bring the dog inside. Some areas also use reverse look up and just call the home to let them know a complaint was called in.
In our area you can request that you not be identified as the one who called in the complaint. Our PD also asks if you want an officer to come to your home to report on the complaint. We can decline so the neighbor doesn't know who called in the complaint as well.
Dog barking carries a good distance so unless you or the PD tells the owners they won't know it was you and the result will be the dog will be brought in and they hopefully will think twice before leaving the dog out for long periods at night in the cold barking.

I would suggest you check first that you can report anonymously beforehand just to be safe that you don't cause a rift with the neighbors.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Neighbor wars are the worst thing! I usually try to avoid them at all costs. I would mention the barking and say it doesn't bother you, but there is a law (look up the local law first) and tell them you are looking out for them in case a passerby or other neighbor calls.

A hunting breed should be fine in the elements for periods of time if they are acclimated. I know a Golden isnt a Lab, but when I go Pheasant hunting the GSPS, Springers etc are out ALL day with us in under freezing conditions. By the time we are done I am shell of myself even in my expensive polar gear, and they are still game for more game. But, that is activity too which I am sure keep them warm. They are outside a lot though even when not working. A dog barking continuously to come in would concern me if it was more than 20 minutes.

To be honest I dont let my dogs bark outside at all. I call them in the minute I can tell they feel like having a session lol BUT I live in a very urban area. I can hear my neighbor's dishes clinking in the sink when windows are open. So we do try to be more considerate.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sometimes the power of suggestion is effective. If you are friendly with your neighbor and have casual conversations maybe commenting on how when it get really cold that "you" worry that "your" dog/s don't stay out too long in the cold because "you" worry about frostbite or whatever. A comment of the sort might plant the seed in your neighbors mind that it might not be a good idea to leave their dog out so long when it's frigid outside. If they suggest they disagree just be casual and let it go.
A safer way to bring it up without creating a conflict between you, your gf or your neighbor. Just plant the idea and see if it takes.
Look at you. Tricky. I like it.

I think this is a good first step. I agree that you really don't want to start a neighbor war. I wouldn't worry too much at 20 degrees with a golden but through all of winter that does seem long.

Just out of curiosity, does the same routine happen in warmer months?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Haha I have a retired nosy neighbor who does this with the other neighbors. The thing is, it’s still obvious what she’s doing. So I would be careful about how obvious you are with this approach. I think a lot times, the other person knows what they are trying to infer and usually have enough tact not to call it out or directly address it. But done enough times or with the wrong subject ,and it still can create tension. I’m not saying that this would happen in this case, just a caution.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yeah, I'd leave it alone unless it is truly frigid and the dog is actually likely to get frostbite or worse. I'm talking somewhere below -10 F with wind.

If you are friendly with the neighbor, give them a dog jacket for the golden and leave it at that.

Neighbor wars are the worst!! Don't start one!!

·
Registered
748 Posts
I agree with the anonymous police call route. Having a contentious neighbor next to your home, where you expect to come home to peace and quiet, is stressful. And people are very defensive about their dogs...I see it here in the forums, on tv, and in person in my neighborhood. What one person sees as a "problem," another person may not. As an example, one of my neighbors on my street used to have a springer spaniel that would get loose regularly, maybe once or twice a week (I'm not exaggerating) and run around the neighborhood and poop all over the place including my backyard. It went on for a couple of years. Literally every week, he would be driving his white truck around the neighborhood looking for the dog. Other neighbors have almost run over the dog and complained about the dog. One day I finally mentioned it to him while he was looking for his dog that other neighbors were going to call Animal Control on him and his dog. He had the nerve to tell me, "It's doing what a dog does. It runs out of an open door. What am I supposed to do about it?" I couldn't do anything but shake my head and walk away. Needless to say I haven't been friendly with that guy since. Oh, and 1 day that dog disappeared. My guess, the dog got hit by a car or they took it to a pound. I've got plenty of other dog stories from my neighborhood that includes multiple lawsuits, not picking up dog poop, barking, etc.

My point is...don't start something that you can't finish. If it escalates, next thing you know, "your fence is on my property," or they're cutting your tree limbs off, or whatever. This only results in one of you moving away.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Seems fine to me. My dogs even my short haired APBT loves the snow and cold, although she does wear a coat. I imagine they leave him out to make sure he goes potty, I know when I let mine out and I don’t go with them they will want to come right back in to be with me instead of going potty. But if I leave them out there instead of letting them back in they will eventually start meandering and do their business. They don’t bark though, just wait hopefully at the door.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm just relieved that they bring the dog inside where it spends the night. So many poor dogs are left out in the cold all night with a half azz dog house. I wouldn't leave mine out that long (they get about 10 minutes tops) but I don't think the dog is being harmed.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
Do you wonder what they are doing during this time? They can't be relaxing if the dog is barking non-stop. Are they trying to get kids to bed? Or taking care of an elderly parent?

My point is, you don't know what goes on in their home so maybe they are busy during this time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I think I’m going to just leave it be. I wouldn’t really want anyone telling me how to take care of my dog. Lots of you say the dog is probably fine out there so that puts my mind at ease. The neighbor and I haven’t liked eachother since I moved here so I can’t just talk to him about it. I’m planning on moving in a few years anyways so I’ll just let it go and try not to worry about their dog

·
Registered
229 Posts
I’m just curious what you all would do in this situation. My neighbors leave their golden retriever out in the cold for what seems to to 30 mins to an hour every night. It’s 9:46pm and 20 Fahrenheit with 3 inches of snow and he’s in their back yard barking non stop to be let in because I am sure he is freezing. This happened all last winter and I really don’t want that poor dog to go through that again this winter. Would you say something to them?

I live in PA which I believe has a law that no dog can be tied out more than 30 mins under 32 degrees Fahrenheit. My gf thinks I should just keep quiet because my gsd barks at night sometimes when a fire siren goes off etc and she doesn’t want it to turn into a war. I’m generally a person who tries to stay in my own lane and let ppl live however they want but that dog has to be freezing. I take my gsd in the snow a lot but we are out running and playing and golden retrievers are not known to be as rugged and cold resistant as a gsd. Their dog just sits there and barks and Has to be really cold
Dogs are WARM Blooded animals, they are not naked babies--and have FUR, you know that stuff that the Inuit wear to keep warm in TRUE cold? They will not freeze at 20 fah.

A Golden should be absolutely fine until it's WAY under freezing--20 fahrenheit is freaking balmy weather in Canadian winter. My long haired GSD puppy is out much of the evening by choice, she finds our house hot, she loves the cold. The snow, the snowballs, all the fun of winter. She is currently on the doorstep feasting on ice.

I grew up with Goldens. Dad hunted them, and while they were our house dogs, they weren't greenhouse flowers, they got snowed on, muddy, wet, and all survived to be very old dogs.

An hour? Good grief stop helicopter parenting your neighbour's dog.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm just relieved that they bring the dog inside where it spends the night. So many poor dogs are left out in the cold all night with a half azz dog house. I wouldn't leave mine out that long (they get about 10 minutes tops) but I don't think the dog is being harmed.
I have a dog door so the dogs can go in and out whenever they want. Snow doesn't bother them a bit. They can sleep comfortably in it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts