German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
728 Posts
Remington has only had 2 accidents in the house to date since I brought him home on the 13th. The key is to nip it in the bud, and don't let it happen in the first place. I'm at home all day because I'm caring for my mom who just had surgery, so I'm fortunate in that I don't work away from home and I can maintain constant vigilance. I know this isn't the case with most people, but still try and either watch him or crate him and maintain a schedule.

Basically Remi goes out every hour on the hour, PLUS after every meal, every drink of water, every playtime/exercise, and every nap. I stick to this routine completely. Within 3 days of owning him, Remi was already scratching and whining at the door to go outside, he got the hang of it that quickly. I then tell him "outside," and I praise him heavily EVERY single time he goes outside by excitedly saying, "good outside!"

It's important when you're watching your dog to pay attention to his signals. In addition to taking him out after all the stuff I mentioned above, take him out right away if he walks around sniffing the floor or whines for no apparent reason and seems fussy.

When he had the accidents, it was my fault for either not noticing his signals or not being attentive: remember that puppies have baby brains and do not yet have full control over their bladders and bowels yet, it's not their fault. So what I did was, as soon as I noticed he was having the accidents, I immediately picked him up in mid-pee without a word, whisked him outside where I said "outside" calmly as I placed him on the grass, and praised him a lot when he finished. I then took him straight back inside. It is then super important that you thoroughly clean the spot he had the accident in, so the smell is completely gone, or he may be inclined to go there again.

If you say "no" in a harsh or angry way, or get angry after the fact, the dog will only be confused and afraid to ever urinate/defecate at all again, especially in front of you. Think about potty training children - it's a delicate procedure and if done the wrong way, it can negatively impact a person for the rest of their life. It's the same for our puppies, we need to remain calm so as not to intimidate or worry the puppy, and get audibly happy when he does it right.

· Registered
728 Posts
Then you'll need to get him on a stricter outside schedule. Every hour on the hour and then after every meal/drink, nap and playtime.

Above you said "playing with dog" before the phone rang and you went to get it - playing makes a puppy have to pee/poop. If you're not prepared to take him outside the second you finish playing - and in this case answering the phone constituted playtime ending - then he'll continue to pee inside. This may mean ignoring the phone once or twice until he's housetrained, unless obviously it's an emergency or something. I'm not trying to be harsh or anything, I'm just trying to help ya. No one thinks you don't oversee your puppy, and we all have times when we can't be 100% on top of them. But some things will have to wait while he's being trained. For example, I took Remi outside in nothing but a bathtowel and soaking wet hair in the freezing cold because he was sniffing around just as I got out of the shower!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.