German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Irmo, South Carolina!

My girlfriend and I recently moved from SW suburbs of Chicago, IL to Irmo, SC, getting away from the cold, the chaos, and the taxes:laugh2:.

I had (for 13 years) a Cocker Spaniel that we had to put down in August. He had been my sidekick since I was 17 years old. Anyway, a while after we have started looking into GSDs and were very interested, I had known that purebreds were roughly $2000 give or take. Without that kind of financial ability we had to seek out a lower cost pup, which led us to Bear. He was from a breeder and cost us $700.

We picked him yesterday 11/26, OMG love at first site. He is HUGE!! Without a scale, I am guessing he weighs 20+ LBS with a BELLY and seems well fed. I don't have expectations of purity, or ears standing, but OBVIOUSLY would love, as do most GSD owners.

Posting this to hear first thoughts from the experienced, and looking forward to speaking with everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Welcome to the forum and give lil Bear a hug from me. He sure is cute. What are your plans for him? You do know as
a GSD he may be smarter than some in your family? Just kidding. Be prepared cause they are super smart.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
He looks pure to me. Not sure why you think his ears won't stand up. Heavy is ok, but keep the pup on the leaner side. His joints will Thank you when he is older. Wasn't long ago 700.00 seemed to be the going price for a gsd. Congrats and enjoy.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Bear is just adorable! Congratulations on your new friend and welcome to the forum. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but with your mention of a "belly," I'd recommend getting him in for a well-puppy visit (including a check for parasites) as soon as you can.

·
Registered
323 Posts
He looks like a purebred, but if you're curious you can do an Embark Vet DNA breed and health test. I thought I rescued
a GSD mix and after Embark, lo and behold she's 100% purebred.

I second getting Bear checked out at the vet for parasites, many BYB do not do the monthly worming and puppies start
out their life with a heavy parasite load, which can lead to other problems.

Also don't forget to check on which inoculations he needs. Good time to line up a Vet in your new area.

Also feed him the best quality food you can afford. His future health depends on it.

Again, congratulations!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the forum and give lil Bear a hug from me. He sure is cute. What are your plans for him? You do know as
a GSD he may be smarter than some in your family? Just kidding. Be prepared cause they are super smart.
Thank you for welcoming us! So our plan is to keep him busy! And we knew going into it that GSDs were very smart breeds. My Cocker Spaniel was as well. So far, were getting him used to his surroundings, getting him potty and cage trained. Also acclimated to our back yard with no leash. He is great, he follows either of us at the heel while outside. Our goal is to be able to let him outside wherever we are (obviously at appropriate places) without a leash and without him taking off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He looks pure to me. Not sure why you think his ears won't stand up. Heavy is ok, but keep the pup on the leaner side. His joints will Thank you when he is older. Wasn't long ago 700.00 seemed to be the going price for a gsd. Congrats and enjoy.
So I have read a decent amount regarding ears and it seems almost hit or miss. So with the price point we paid I didn't want to go into it with too much hope of them standing, because if they do then they do, if they dont, I am not going to tape or add inserts etc... Regarding his weight, we have started feeding him portions, it seemed the breeder let them eat at will. Thank you for your input!! Much appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He looks like a purebred, but if you're curious you can do an Embark Vet DNA breed and health test. I thought I rescued
a GSD mix and after Embark, lo and behold she's 100% purebred.

I second getting Bear checked out at the vet for parasites, many BYB do not do the monthly worming and puppies start
out their life with a heavy parasite load, which can lead to other problems.

Also don't forget to check on which inoculations he needs. Good time to line up a Vet in your new area.

Also feed him the best quality food you can afford. His future health depends on it.

Again, congratulations!!
We will absolutely look into the DNA and Health test. Were mixing his wet food the breeder was feeding him with Iams Proactive Health Smart Puppy Large Breed. Our first visit to the vet is Monday!

Last night we noticed his ear was bothering him, so when we looked inside we noticed an ear infection. Blackish ear wax, not too bad, my cocker spaniel had the same problem, so thankfully I know how to clean them without damaging his ear drum. But I wanted to know, is the common for GSDs?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
We will absolutely look into the DNA and Health test. Were mixing his wet food the breeder was feeding him with Iams Proactive Health Smart Puppy Large Breed. Our first visit to the vet is Monday!

Last night we noticed his ear was bothering him, so when we looked inside we noticed an ear infection. Blackish ear wax, not too bad, my cocker spaniel had the same problem, so thankfully I know how to clean them without damaging his ear drum. But I wanted to know, is the common for GSDs?
Is it common ? don't know, but you need to rule out ear mite and infection or fungus

·
Registered
14 Posts
He's adorable! I wouldn't worry about his ears standing at this point - it varies so much from dog to dog. My boys ears were standing at 7 weeks - his brothers and sisters weren't standing until 8 - 12 weeks. It will happen when it's time.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've not had any ear infections w/ my 2 but my son's 2 Huskies have ongoing ear problems. I think the best nutrition
is gotten from feeding raw or semi-raw and I do believe ear infections can be nutrition related.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Very cute! Congrats! Seems like you have the right attitude and are on the right track. Welcome to the forums. You’re going to get a lot of feedback here, sometimes unsolicited, just take it all in. He looks all GSD to me, but I hear you on your comments about the ears, you’re just setting your expectations low. You seem happy and comfortable with your new addition.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
What a cutie! Congratulations on your new pup. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your journey together.

I don't think it's as common for GSDs to get ear infections as it is drop-eared breeds, but I don't necessarily think it's uncommon either. My white shepherd has gotten two last year, and none since (thankfully). I actually think it was one infection that got a little better with the drops our vet gave us, but then came back later. The new vet gave us an ear drop that was applied once (by the vet) and was supposed to last for 7 days. She told us if he still had signs of infection after one week to come back and she'd give him a second dose, but we didn't need to. It was great stuff. Both the dog and I were glad that I didn't have to apply drops several times a day for a week or two.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts