German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

ThreeDogs and I are trying to get this guy into rescue. He has some sort of major issues going on with his hips and maybe a bit with his spine too, not sure. He is pigeon toed, his muscles are underdeveloped and when he walks he often limps or lifts up his leg and bunny hops. You can actually see a bit in the picture--that is his normal stance. I gave the shelter Joint Health for him and ThreeDogs bought him a bed and has been going over to see him. We don't think they will tell potential adopters that he has a problem though. They don't seem to think it's a big deal.

He is in Welland, Ontario which is very close to Buffalo, NY. Does anyone know of any special needs rescues in the general region that we could ask to pull this guy?

Oh--he has the absolute best personality ever! Loves other animals (dogs & cats) and people.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Re: Special needs rescues?

OMGoodness he is so sweet. I am guessing that you have already looked in the Toronto GSD Rescue? (the good one
)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts

WOW what a sweetie, I am sure there has got to be a rescue out there or foster or even forever home for this adorable character. He needs some quality in his life! Thanks to you guys doing what you can for the bed and suppliments. BTW bowwowmeow, the springtime inc longevity you suggested for mum's dog Heidi worked great! She is moving so well and loving life. Thank you for that too.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts

oh, btw, he's only a baby! What was it bowwowmeow...1 1/2?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts

Hello Gorgeous!!!! Thanks for posting him here. He has been at the shelter since December 2nd.

He is a baby. I would guess under 2 years old.

I have to tell you this is the sweetest dog I have ever met. He loves EVERYONE, dogs, kids, and he okay with cats. He is one of the favorites of the dog walkers there.

I would take him in a heartbeat, but because he is at the shelter they check out potential adopters and since I have the maximum number of dogs, I can't take him.

Bowwowmeow is not exaggerating, his hips are very bad, our fear is that they will adopt him out without telling the new owners how bad he is and he will not receive the care that he needs.

This guy will make an awesome addition to any family.

I know I'm gushing but he is so sweet.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Does anyone know of rescues who specialize in special needs dogs? Or a rescue that would take him with these issues and fundraise for the surgery? I could help with that. We both really love this guy and want him to get the care that he needs!

As for Toronto gsd rescue--they are always full and he is too far from Toronto.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts

I am going to my pet store today. These people know everyone. I hope I can get some ideas from them.

The problem around here is that our shelters will hold dogs forever. So rescues are not that active around here. The only ones I know of are for mainly cats and I have met a few of the people and I honestly don't think they are experienced enough to deal with this problem.

The other I know of concentrates on getting pit bulls out of Ontario...

I will pull him and transport where ever he needs to go.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts

Bumping you back up gorgeous. Anyone have any ideas for him?

I go to Ryan's at the Grantham Plaza. Great people there.

While I was there some lady kept fawning over Cyrus, she said her bunny just died so she has been looking for a dog! And She loves Shepherds. So I told her about a GREAT dog at the Welland animal shelter, she is a regular at the store and they said she was a great lady.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

What if someone (not me-sorry) paid to have him vetted either by a good vet experienced with ortho things, or a chiro/vet, or an ortho vet so that you would know exactly how special his needs were? If he just needs some PT (is he getting any exercise there-to support his bones) and an FHO that's one level of expense, up to other things that are way more. Or perhaps he just needs lifetime supportive care and would be looking at a wheelchair in years to come-I bet that it would be easier to place/find a rescue for him if it were known what his problems truly were.

Just trying to think of alternatives.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts

Thats a great idea. I wonder if they would let me borrow him for a few hours to take him to my vets..I'll ask. Of course now I only live 3 minutes from Cyrus's Vet, soooo I could just mosey on home with him...do you think they would notice

He does remind me of my Cyrus when I got him, very gangly in the back end from not having any muscle mass, but this poor boys back end is really a mess.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

I can help with some $'s ** moderator edited for solicitation **. It may be simple...a history of poor nutrition, no exercise, confinement etc. At least if we had a diagnosis we could go forward from there.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts

Special needs rescue:

http://www.homewardboundrescue.com/specialneeds.html

Homeward Bound is dedicated to rescuing homeless and unwanted animals. We are a non-profit, 501(c) 3-tax exempt, no-kill dog rescue and placement organization based in Minnesota. Although our focus is primarily on rescuing dogs, we also rescue cats, kittens, & other animals. We are an independent organization and depend solely on adoption fees, fundraisers, and donations to operate. We receive NO government support. Homeward Bound has been in operation for over 15 years & has placed over 11,500 dogs in loving homes. We try our best to match the dogs with the needs, wants, personalities, and lifestyles of potential adopters to ensure a healthy, happy, & permanent home. All Homeward Bound dogs must live indoors. Dogs are social pack animals by nature and we want them to be able to have all of the companionship, love, & attention they deserve, as well as a chance to bond with the family.
We rescue all types of dogs, ranging from small to large breeds. Roughly 40% of the dogs we rescue are purebred while the other 60% are mixed breeds. The age of the dogs varies from puppies to adults. We will tell you about each dog's history, personality, & behavior, including whether or not they are good which children and other pets, their exercise needs, & other important information

·
Registered
394 Posts
Re: Welland, ON: Sweet boy w/ HD

I know there is a rescue around the Ottawa area that deals with special needs, I can't remember their name though!!! I'll try to find it.

·
Registered
394 Posts

This one sounds too new to be the one I am thinking of, but they may be an option
http://www.hopefulhearts.ca/

·
Registered
394 Posts

THIS is the place I was originally thinking of
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/ON149.html
We are the ONLY Sanctuary in Ontario that takes in ONLY special medical needs dogs, so we fill up quickly and have a waiting list. It cost the sanctuary ALOT of money to take care of the special medical needs animals, but we do not put a price tag on life. If we do not take in these special furry critters..who will?. We also do NOT take in owner relinquishments, cats or dogs. There are too many animals out there strayed that not one person in the world gives a voice to..we are their voice and help those that need it most

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks. I'd really like to get him into a good rescue (gsd or all breed) and then raise the funds for whatever surgery he needs!

I'd love to bring him here to foster but Chama and Cleo would kill me and he and Rafi would play all the time and it would be bad for their hips!

·
Registered
581 Posts

Great links Rowansd, thanks!

He sure is a sweet boy!! Hopefully his hips aren't that bad.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts

I'll send them an e-mail with Champs info. Hopefully they will be able to help him out.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts