Registered
1,668 Posts
Re: Mandy,starved girl in Ionia,MI

Mandy
Animal: Dog
Breed: German Shepherd Dog
Sex: Female
Size: Large

Poor girl, came in completely starved. About 8 months old, slowly putting weight on but needs a loving forever home to give her the tlc to make her a beautiful pet. Adoption fee $85 ($50 back once fixed)

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

how do you put up the pic? and thank you for doing it!!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

dear little silver girl...let's see if we can find someone to help you...is there anyone who could go and see mandy and evaluate her for placement with a rescue??? it seems that so many animals are suffering even more than usual due to the difficult economic times, especially here in michigan. a generous donation is available to any rescue who can help her.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

please...for the girl who's had a tuff life so far.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

bumping up

·
Registered
19,451 Posts

I could maybe go take a look at her but I've never done anything like that before. I walked dogs at our shelter. Do you just want some more pics and see if she will walk, play, be pet, etc?

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Anything you can do to get her into a home would be helpful...you seem to have a good track record w/ Panzer, and the little fluff you found! She looks so pretty~even in her boney state:))

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

liesje, i've sent you a pm, thanks!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

back to the top you go mandy...

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

working on finding some help for dear little silver-girl mandy. liesje, did you get my pm???

·
Registered
19,451 Posts

Yep, I just got it this morning. Sorry my phone is dead at the moment, grrr! Is this dog in danger? I could possibly go out Saturday if they are open, but probably not before then b/c I work until 4:30 this week and I think this shelter is about 1/2 our away, maybe a little farther.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

let me check lies, will advise. thank you...

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

lies, just called the shelter...hours tuesday thru friday are 1pm to 7pm. i was unable to speak with anyone since it's before 1pm and their answering machine is on. so would it be possible for you to go now before saturday (saturday hours are 10am to 4pm)? i will be off the board this afternoon, you have my cell phone #, please call if you have any questions, otherwise i'll be checking back here this evening. thanks so much...

·
Registered
19,451 Posts

I can't go today (meeting a friend tonight) or tomorrow (doing an agility demo with Kenya), but maybe Friday if I can get there in time or Sat. afternoon...

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

oh thank you so much. in the meantime, i'll find out if she is in danger. it looks to me, from reading their web site, that they aren't a kill shelter. thank you again and many blessings...

·
Registered
19,451 Posts

I just called them. The woman said she is still there. She should remain "urgent" b/c they are a small shelter and can run out of space. There's not a set time limit on the dog, but she couldn't tell me she's not in danger. I asked if I need an appointment to see her and she said no, anyone can come during normal open hours.

I'm thinking of going out Friday night if DH wants to come otherwise hopefully Sat. afternoon. I can't guarantee b/c one of our vehicles is in the shop right now and I'm not totally sure of DH's work schedule but that would have to come first.

I would offer to pull this dog, but right now I don't think I can do that unless a foster home or permanent home is in the works b/c I am leaving for a long vacation in a few weeks. Also I rent so I have to be VERY selective about the dogs I adopt b/c we share the home with a young family (ie, I cannot have dogs that bark a lot or have SA). If a rescue or someone can take her I can bring her home if it's just a matter of a weekend or something.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

yes, i also spoke with the shelter (beth). they do euth for space, are not full now, but say that could change at any time. here is what beth says about "mandy". no food aggression to people, unsure about other dogs in a home environment but none that they have seen. she is heartworm negative and has had vaccinations. very submissive personality to both humans and other animals again, according to shelter worker beth. of most concern to me was that she has an "abscess" inside her mouth on her cheek, they are giving her antibiotics but she has not seen a vet. here is where i stand with this...i have inquiries out far and wide for a rescue, or someone personally known to me, who could foster her or be her forever home. an answer for this will not come over night. so i have nothing definite, i am still at the stage where i would like Lies to see her first hand and report back on what she finds. my heart goes out to this little girl who, in her short life has not even had enough to eat, and i am very strongly motivated to help her. again, i can sponsor her care to any rescue organization (known rescue with references or known to me), and can transport her, or make arrangements for transport, for anywhere she needs to go. since NOTHING IS DEFINITE yet, please, if anyone else can work with me to help her i would be ever so grateful! even if it's just to keep her near the top of the urgent section where her story will be seen. thank you all, and many blessings, i will be back on the board later this evening.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts

Alright we will go see her Friday afternoon if there is still a need at that time. DH will come so we can see how she reacts with men. I am in no way qualified to temperament test, but hopefully they will let us spend some time with her and I will give you my gut reaction...

1 - 20 of 115 Posts