German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lord help her, where are these dogs coming from?

ACO caught this one after repeated calls and a long time spent trying. She walked up to a woman leaving a beauty shop, the woman easily caught her by the collar and here she is. The shelter is super-crowded. Ted won't keep her around long, dogs that look like this make him nervous.

This is a young adult with clean white teeth. I think she is a solid black but as you can see it is hard to tell. She is sweet and affectionate. She is itchy and jumps as though being bitten as you watch. Darn, darn, darn. She is miserable.

Bladen Animal Shelter is a gassing facility located in Southeastern, NC - halfway between Fayetteville and Wilmington. The shelter number is 910-862-6918. Note that they are only open 8:30-11 M-F although they will arrange to meet you there at other times if you call during their office hours to discuss. They cannot return long distance calls. Volunteer help is readily available and a local vet will treat and board.

Now for the pictures. Prepare yourselves:

[/img]

Please consider her. She needs you.

-Krista
Bladen Animal Shelter Petfinder page

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Re: Elizabethtown,NC-Young adult F-worse than the last

oh no.......

wonder if someone dumped a few off......

·
Registered
4,459 Posts

I recently rescued one that had no hair from the waist down and his skin was black. He made an amazing recovery after a month of antibiotics, good food, baths and TLC. Two months later he looks normal. Amazing how quickly they can recover from conditions like this.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts

Let me what I can do tomarrow (I can't stay on line long tonight). Are there others..you mentioned something about this one being the worst??? I checked their website and I didn't see any others (I didn't even see her). But this poor girl needs our help for sure.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts

I can donate to an approved rescue to help with her expenses.

Please send me a PM if help is needed.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

dear girl, bless her heart...yes, she does need someone to help her. and it IS amazing how they recover and become beautiful animals with good food and medical care.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts

Can someone do a temperment test on her??
And why would "dogs that look like this one" make this guy nervous? Whats the issue?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

He gets nervous because he has 10 pens total to work with. He is already overcrowded and could be cited by the state inspector if she drops in unexpectedly...which she does. He is only holding on to them as long as he can to give us time to move them. So if he puts a girl like this in a pen with 2 others, who is going to adopt any of the three? They will see her, figure she is contagious and bypass the whole pen.

Remember Bitsy from this board who Brightstar saved last October? She had skin issues (fleas bite allergies) and a bloody discharge (UTI). Darcy had to beg Ted to release her to them, he felt she was too sick and should be put down.

As far as temperament testing, when I saw this girl last night she was in the outdoor drop pen. and the gate was locked. I could get my hand in to rub her and look at her mouth and she was sweet, no grumbles. There were two small dogs in the connecting pen. I fed them all treats and she waited her turn. Granted, there was wire separating them but a bad dog would have been diving at them through the wire. I came back after a meeting and she was still there and wagged her tail to see me.

There really isn't time to do much else.

-Krista

·
Registered
6,659 Posts

Thanks Krista for all your info. I looked at the other thread, my guess is they were likely dumped together. Since the other girl didn't have mange perhaps this little girl doesn't either.
I talked with the Shelter but Krista gives us more info than I got from them. I basically confirmed that she was there, seperated from the rest, seemed friendly, etc.
Since the other dog had heartworm I am concerned about this girl as well. Let me see what I can do. Lets hope and pray for a miracle.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

You have to figure she has HW, but there are pleasant surprises. Last week we helped NC Rottie Rescue pull an emaciated Rottie who had been seized for neglect. Sweet and gentle, still wearing the tight thick collar she had spent her life on, tufts of hair sticking out all over from never being brushed, still had a tail and dewclaws. Skin and bones but amazingly heartworm and parasite-free.

-Krista

·
Registered
6,659 Posts

bump

·
Registered
6,659 Posts

I'm really getting blasted at work here-tons of work to be done, can anyone help me on contacting rescues that might be able to help this girl?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,659 Posts

Got email back from J&J Homeless Rescue-they are full. Will keep trying.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts

I took in a boy like this last fall and it was an allergy to fleas, no hair on tail at all. He now has a beautiful coat and just happens to be a black sable like this one.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts

No doubt she is a beauty just waiting to shine. Likely just some good food, vet care, ADVANTAGE perhaps and she will be stunning. We just need to get her out of there!!! I've sent an email to Noble GSD rescue and am waiting to hear back from them-fingers and paws crossed.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts