German Shepherds Forum banner
41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Re: Take a look at Baby Samantha--Carroll Co. Ga.

Will do, as soon as she is out of the vets and transported to NYS. Samantha is thought to have a nasty upper resp. funk of some sort, tests have been run and results are pending. In the meantime, she is being treated accordinlgy and all reports are she is responding and doing well.

Samantha is not a BrightStar dog, she is being adopted by a BrightStar approved family -

A BrightStar approved family, who adopted Klondike from BrightStar several years ago and Klondike recently passed to the Rainbow Bridge, suddenly. His family posted his tribute on the board.

This is not a BrightStar pull, so she will not be on the website.
I just jumped in to help facilitate since Samantha was in an out of state shelter.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

Quick update.

Samantha is holding her own at the vet clinic. She has started eating, is on meds and getting the best care possible. We are still waiting on Blood work results and will hopefully have them by monday. Thank you all for keeping this girl in your thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts

any updates?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

The blood results are back and they aren't the news we wanted. She tested positive for distemper, but it could be that she was just vacinated from the shelter. We are now waiting to see where we go from here.

She is still eating, not alot but eating. To my understand she is not show signs of distemper. If anyone has a good link on distemper please share it with me, I feel the need to read all there is about it at this point. Thanks for keeping this young girl in your thoughts and prayers.

Keep fighting Samantha......

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

Thanks Jean, please everyone keep this girl in your thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR RESCURERS WHO PULL FROM CARROLL COUNTY GA ANIMAL SHETER:

Samantha, who was pulled from the shelter on 4/29/08, has tested positive (via a PCR) for canine distemper and adenovirus type 2. She tested positive on 5/2/08 (confirmation was received 5/5/08) - and the shelter records state that she was given the 7-in-1 on 4/15/08. The treating vet does not believe that the PCR results are due to a false positive from the vaccination. The GA Department of Agriculture has been advised and is working with the shelter.

If you recall, there was concern that Samantha was coming down with kennel cough prior to her pull and had been started on antibiotics at the shelter - her symptoms upon arriving at the vet were:

1. Large amounts of ocular and nasal discharge,
2. Upper respiratory difficulty, wheezing;
3. Not puppyish acting;
4. She did not have a fever, however, but she had been started on antibiotics at the shelter.

Samantha is being treated under quarantine at a local vet hospital and has been since her pull. She is holding her own - eating/drinking and is having a happy day today!! No neurological signs and we are praying that the distemper was caught in time.

I have also posted on another GSD forum as I am aware that members there pulled Major, who was also listed on the board, from Carroll County yesteday.

http://forums.lasthopesafehaven.com/tool/post/lasthopegsds/vpost?id=2666672&highlight=samantha

I am hoping that he was quarantined immediately as distemper is an airborne disease and highly contagious to unprotected animals.

My understanding is that all dogs are at risk, but puppies younger than four months old and dogs that have not been vaccinated against canine distemper are at increased risk of acquiring the disease.

When I spoke with the shelter yesterday they were not yet under quarantine, but they were expecting a visit from the GA Department of Ag.

Note: Samantha is not a BrightStar girl, she was pulled for an approved Brightstar adoptive family who was hoping to be able to drive down to GA to pick up their new family member last week. They are understandably overwhelmed and concerned and this is a day to day situation, as distemper is an extremely nasty disease, but a dog can survive and as long as she is fighting, their are people here for her who will support her fight!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts

I don't want to cause panic and it doesn't mean all dogs will come down with it, but I thought it only fair to let people know, since it is so nasty and contagious.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts

Originally Posted By: Darcy1IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR RESCURERS WHO PULL FROM CARROLL COUNTY GA ANIMAL SHETER:

Samantha, who was pulled from the shelter on 4/29/08, has tested positive (via a PCR) for canine distemper and adenovirus type 2. She tested positive on 5/2/08 (confirmation was received 5/5/08) - and the shelter records state that she was given the 7-in-1 on 4/15/08. The treating vet does not believe that the PCR results are due to a false positive from the vaccination. The GA Department of Agriculture has been advised and is working with the shelter.

If you recall, there was concern that Samantha was coming down with kennel cough prior to her pull and had been started on antibiotics at the shelter - her symptoms upon arriving at the vet were:

1. Large amounts of ocular and nasal discharge,
2. Upper respiratory difficulty, wheezing;
3. Not puppyish acting;
4. She did not have a fever, however, but she had been started on antibiotics at the shelter.

Samantha is being treated under quarantine at a local vet hospital and has been since her pull. She is holding her own - eating/drinking and is having a happy day today!! No neurological signs and we are praying that the distemper was caught in time.

I have also posted on another GSD forum as I am aware that members there pulled Major, who was also listed on the board, from Carroll County yesteday.

http://forums.lasthopesafehaven.com/tool/post/lasthopegsds/vpost?id=2666672&highlight=samantha

I am hoping that he was quarantined immediately as distemper is an airborne disease and highly contagious to unprotected animals.

My understanding is that all dogs are at risk, but puppies younger than four months old and dogs that have not been vaccinated against canine distemper are at increased risk of acquiring the disease.

When I spoke with the shelter yesterday they were not yet under quarantine, but they were expecting a visit from the GA Department of Ag.

Note: Samantha is not a BrightStar girl, she was pulled for an approved Brightstar adoptive family who was hoping to be able to drive down to GA to pick up their new family member last week. They are understandably overwhelmed and concerned and this is a day to day situation, as distemper is an extremely nasty disease, but a dog can survive and as long as she is fighting, their are people here for her who will support her fight!

·
Registered
9,025 Posts

Tharks Darcy for alerting to this information. Anyone that has pulled from this shelter recently needs to be extra careful and also be aware if any of their other animals came into contact with a dog from there, so that they can take proper actions.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts

GSDTrain - thanks for posting Major's link.

My post on the other forum (which was a duplicate of the posting here), letting the group know who worked on Major's pull, was removed. I just didn't want people to look for it and think I only thought I posted it, but didn't. However, it was read and I received an email stating that "Major is safe and being cared for".

We will update Samantha's thread as we know more.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

Thank you everyone for your support with Samantha, she is a strong girl and giving use the fight of her life.

Darcy, I can't find the words to express how much I appreciate all your help here. I know you are very busy, and yet you find the time to help use the Samantha. This is one remarkable young lady, who will have a very loving home, thanks in great part to you. If there is anything I can do to help with calls, or anything please let me know.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts

If it really is distemper (and not just a false positive due to the recent vaccination what seems likely), I wonder if the distemper was caused by the vaccine. I've had a rescue came down with vaccine induced distemper, but he had worse symptoms, including the cherry (?) eyes, diarrhea. I believe <u>all </u>distemper cases have the cherry eyes! Does Samantha has red eyes (kinda like a bloodhound)?

Either way, I hope she pulls through. Poor girl

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

I too had a dog that came down with vaccine induced distemper a over month after being pulled from the shelter where she was vaccinated against distemper (I heard of other such cases too). She did have neurological symptoms. Luckily she made full recovery and none of the dogs in my home got sick (all were vaccinated).
Wishing all the best to Samantha.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts

Thanks Maedchen. Honestly, I don't know the answer to the cherry eyes question. I have not personally seen Samantha, but the vet did not mention it, but I will ask.

MomtoBeauandRiley and Maedchen. We are/were all thinking it MAY be still a vaccine induced distemper but the vet disagrees.

Samantha did have bloody smelly diarrhea yesterday and we tested for parvo, did another fecal/coccidea test and giardia test, all negative (thankfully), so the vet is saying it is another symptom of the distemper (Today she still has diarrhea, but it has some formation I am told).

There is other supporting evidence that it is truly distemper, there was another confirmed case several weeks ago from the same shelter. I have been told that the pulling rescue treated for weeks and it was up and down and then down and the vet was literally walking back to the quarantine room to make a final assessment decision and the boy started to eat! He has since been released and is being monitored. Also, when I spoke with the shelter it believes they had other recent cases, untested, and the dogs were euthanized. These are other reasons, I felt I needed to share Samantha’s diagnosis.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts

Per Vet Tech re: Whites of Samantha's Eyes

"They are white but do have the vessels red irritated (expected because of discharge)"

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

I researched this to some extent and three years ago there was no simple and reliable test that can clearly identify distemper (unlike the test for parvo) and this was confirmed by our vet. There were different, not very reliable test possibilities, and my vet felt that it was not worth doing the testing, since the neurological symptoms were present. There is certainly no test that can distinguish between vaccine induced and distemper acquired through contact.
I am quite concened that so many dogs I know of developed the symptoms weeks after the vaccination. With parvo, if an infected dog is vaccinated, the symptoms show up quickly, are more severe and the dog usually dies (based on shelter experience with vaccinated and unvaccinated puppies, depending on adoption, from the ssame litter) soon after the vaccination.
It does not make that much difference what the source is (at least not for Samantha), since the treatment is mainly supportive treatment of the secondary symptoms. It is wonderful that she is not having the neurological symptoms, hopefully she'll get away with the mild case, if it is distemper. My distemper dog did not have the cherry-eye, but the neurological symptoms were pronounced, she could barely walk. She did not have seizures. The respiratory symptoms cleared quickly, the neurological ones slower. The good news is that the virus does not survive long outside of the host (unlike parvo), so it is much easier to isolate a distemper dog than a parvo case. My vet recommended a separate room and washing hands. I did wear a special set of clothes when I handled her, just in case, even though the vet did not say that it was necessary.
This is just FYI from personal experience.

41 - 60 of 128 Posts