German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just here venting. Sometimes I feel like I don't have "enough dog". I never ask much of Bella because she's not that type of dog. She's so much of a pet. Overtime I would look for that true shepherd energy focus and seriousness. She doesn't have that at all. I love her to death but it's like she's just here thats all. She really doesn't have a personality. I been doing so much research lately. I think it's time to find the right type of dog I'm looking for.

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
I don't know what you're trying to accomplish here, but loud generalities usually don't help anyone.

There are people here that love their well-bred American Showline dogs.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Every dog will be different, just because you get a working-line doesn't mean it will be any different from your show line. It depends on each individual line of dog.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm just here venting. Sometimes I feel like I don't have "enough dog". I never ask much of Bella because she's not that type of dog. She's so much of a pet. Overtime I would look for that true shepherd energy focus and seriousness. She doesn't have that at all. I love her to death but it's like she's just here thats all. She really doesn't have a personality. I been doing so much research lately. I think it's time to find the right type of dog I'm looking for.
Maybe you're dog is just uninspired and depressed?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe you're dog is just uninspired and depressed?
She's the happiest dog in the world. She gets plenty of attention and exercise. All the toys on the market, she's a very spoiled dog. She's well mannered. Gets treats when she earns them.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
My first 2 GSDs were ASLs and they both were incredible dogs........unfortunately their breeding/pedigree didn't lend to quality longevity which had nothing to do with the fact they were both ASLs....

My current GSD is a WGSL and there are noted differences between her and my previous 2 ASLs but it would be somewhat irresponsible of me to draw sweeping generalizations based on my experience with just 3 GSDs. I will say my current WGSL has impressed me considerably BUT...I just hope she sticks around longer than the previous two..

Without trying to be inflammatory....but sometimes the "personality" of a dog is either enhanced or guided by the human and can just as well be subdued or quashed by the human. It's the human's job to know the proper "buttons to push" to get most any dog to obtain it's best for any intended or desired purpose.

SuperG

SuperG

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Embrace and celebrate your dog's strengths. Every dog has some -- you just have to open your eyes and your heart. Stop comparing to other people's dogs. Listen to the dog in front of you, and let it tell you who it is. Even my hub's 100% blind dog can fun things (he's got an awesome nose). Your dog's strength may not be sports or OB. That's totally OK. It may be something silly. That's OK too (freestyle dog dancing is a sport -- LOL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-EZY1JDR2g

Do some silly tricks that make you laugh (they don't have to be serious). Have fun with your dog. Your dog's personality will come out when you give it space and open your heart to understanding it, on its own terms.

I've had one doofy, un-shepherdy dog, and he still had things he could do effortlessly: often very silly, fun games that made me laugh. He was the dumbest GSD I've ever known, but he was all heart. On his way into this world, he skipped the "GSD intelligence" line and went through the "heart" line twice for a double helping. That made him awesome, in his own special way.

He became my heart dog -- not the dog I thought I "wanted", but the dog I needed at a time in my life when I needed heart, laughs, and kindness from a dog, not drive. With some work, though, he and I still got through our AKC novice class, graduating in front of an AKC judge who scored it like competition. I almost skipped that day, figuring we'd bomb, and he surprised me by doing just fine. We trained differently than others in the class, as his brain worked a little differently, but we got there, with lots of silliness along the way.

When I got that dog, "Upstairs" sent me what I needed, and my life was immeasurably better for having that dog in it. He was a gift, one of those dogs who sailed into this world on angel wings with something special to give someone willing to accept it. I'd have been a flipping fool to have missed my glorious friendship with that dog -- I'd give almost anything to have him back (he got old and succumbed to cancer after a long, happy life...not a day goes by that I don't wish he were still here).

Stop feeling dissatisfied. Open your heart and mind to start listening to your dog. You might be surprised by the answer.

By the way, I've fostered a couple of wonderful ASL dogs who were great family dogs, but without much prey drive or working drive. They're incredible companions. Their families are thrilled with what great temperaments these dogs have. They aren't feeling sorry for themselves that it's not a sharp, protective, sporty dog -- they're thrilled their dogs can go everywhere, behave nicely at the kids' soccer practice, and are just easy, lovely companions.

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
Without trying to be inflammatory....but sometimes the "personality" of a dog is either enhanced or guided by the human and can just as well be subdued or quashed by the human. It's the human's job to know the proper "buttons to push" to get most any dog to obtain it's best for any intended or desired purpose.

SuperG

SuperG
This. A thousand times, this. Regardless of your dog's ancestry, you are the one that shapes your dog. Want to climb mountains together? Go climb. Want to compete? Go train. Stop worrying about ancestry, just go do things with the dog in front of you.

Edited, to add:

"Stop feeling dissatisfied. Open your heart and mind to start listening to your dog. You might be surprised by the answer."

Magwart just said it, even better.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
If I had a dog with goals for said dog, and the dog wasn't a good fit, I'd still keep said dog, but look for another dog that actually matched my goals. I see nothing wrong with that.

Onyx, was not cut out for the sport I enjoyed, so I did look for a dog(pup) that was bred to possibly do well in it.
Onyx is happy to be where she's most comfortable, and if I put her in places that she wouldn't be, then who am I failing, me or her?
Some dogs are not cut out to be in the venues we'd like, it isn't about 'me' but about my dog.
That said, give it a try first before you decide the dog isn't enjoying whatever you are interested in.

·
Super Moderator
5,388 Posts
I have ASLs. My dog Russ's litter sister went to a guy that wanted to do search and rescue. The guys he was training with told him that he needed to get a "real" GSD. Luckily he didn't listen to them, and his dog is a now a certified SAR dog on a team down in Texas. Those guys were kind of amazed at how good she was.

Sometimes you just have to find a venue you are interested in and give it a whirl. Take your dog to a herding instinct test and see how she does, or try nose work.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I am not sure what idea you are trying to get across, but perhaps your expectations of the breed were not what you anticipated. We had a Boxer pup years ago who seemed to have no personality. Zip. Turned out that she was an only pup whose mother was kept alone in the whelping room,and the only human contact our pup had was when the breeder entered the room once a day to feed and clean up. Poor Livie would just sit there while our other Boxer ran around the house playing with our kids. She didn't even seem to know she was a dog.I don't know if she was mentally retarded, or if she was totally lacking in being socialized early on by the breeder. Maybe your dog is mentally deficient, or maybe you had expectations for the GSD breed that were not accurate.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Well what is it that you want to do with your dog that you just can't because she is not enough dog?

What is it exactly you are expecting of your dream dog?

I am curious how long have you been unsatisfied with your dog? From the sound of it that feeling came on after doing all your research.

Are you actually dissatisfied with the dog you have in front of you, as in she doesnt fit your lifestyle, has behavioral problems, health issues etc or are you dissatisfied because of the perceived notion that you don't have the best type of shepherd, like you have a knock off?

What do you mean she doesn't have a personality? Have you ever looked into dognition? Try a month of that. It might help you look at your girl in a new light.

Also, try challenging her! You might be surprised what she is capable of. Don't just write her off as not enough dog. There are a few show line dogs and shelter mutts that do schutzhund in my local club. Heck my own $100 non papered wonky ear shepherd has surprised me again and again.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Well I guess my question would be have you tried agility? Dock diving? Nose work? Treiball? Tracking? Herding? Rally? She can only do what you do with her, if you do nothing neither will she. I don't agree with getting another dog if you really don't know what you want to begin with.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I love my ASL. When I got her, I didn't even know other "lines" of GSDs existed.

She's far from perfect, but wonderful for my (pet + active companion) needs. We had rough times, we had all kinds of medical, behaviour, and temperament problems, but our relationship gets better every day.

Sometimes I wish she had more drive, and more enthusiasm for Schutzhund or bite sports, other times I'm very grateful that we can come home from the morning's walk and I won't hear so much as a peep from her until I'm done with work some 8-10 hours later. She's fiercely protective and occasionally jealous, but will lick a stranger to death once I "ok" them. I know her weak spots and do my best to not set her up for problems. Occasionally I ask too much, too fast. At the end of the day, pretty much all her issues were a result of me not knowing what I was doing, and today she's a great middle-ground between the traditional working-line GSD and a Golden Retriever: God help you if you do something aggressive towards me, but if you're ok, you're family. Getting her was the best decision I've ever made.

Would I do ASL again? I've thought about it a hundred times and I really don't know the answer. I believe a dog is largely the result of what you put into it, and your expectations. Time will tell.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
I was worried about this coming. From the time of the puppy nipped my dog why didn't she defend....

I am confused too. You have been one of the most enthusiastic posters until a few months ago. I don't know what changed, you had mentioned something after her last heat. Then you brought the PB mix stray home. Then that was gone.

What have you attempted to do with her that has gone wrong? Do you need to see more barking, guarding and aggression in her? Those are the only questions I remember you ever posed.

I saw a recent post that seemed to indicate you were looking at getting another GSD that had more of something.... are you going to get rid of your dog? What is she doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Another thought regarding "seriousness"

Isn't your girl fairly young still? Someone correct me if I am wrong but it has always been my understanding GSDs can be slow to mature breeds. She may be retaining puppy antics until 3 years old...

·
Registered
533 Posts
I kind of see where your coming from, though I don't think it's an ASL thing. My senior GSD Pasta does not fit into any kind of "normal" GSD or even dog personality, kind of like what you are saying about your dog. At first I was disappointed at times that she didn't fit my expectations of what I thought a GSD should be but I learned to really appreciate her for her differences. She has a very complex personality for a dog but I wouldn't change it for anything. Give your dog some time and try to really figure out what she likes, it's not all about what you want her to be

·
Registered
681 Posts
I loved my ASL dogs, they were great dogs. They were a little bit lower energy and mellower dogs, but I was ok with that, I had real young kids at the time and they were great family dogs and pets. I now have a WGSL who has a ton of energy, and I catch myself yearning for the days when I had less energetic dogs.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts