German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently not at work because I just had shoulder surgery and am recovering. However, when I go back, Sasha needs somewhere to be during the time I am gone since I do not want to crate her for that long. I thought it was only fair to make a great place to have her that is safe. The kennel is 8 ft. by 16 feet. The only things we need to still do are:

Permanently anchor the kennel to the concrete
Install a lock for the gate
Shade screens

What do you think? I would not mind living there, LOL! Our house is new so the backyard is a blank slate but the dog kennel/condo was the first thing that was put in.

In case anyone is curious about the turf, we used Heavenly Greens K9 artificial turf for the lawn in the kennel. Also, I took these pics this afternoon while I could supervise her out in it. It is too hot to leave her out there until we get the shade screens installed. The roofing makes it very very shaded and cool all day until about 5:30 PM...then it is in the sun and too warm IMO. She goes in the shaded area but only when I go somewhere where she can't see me. Otherwise, she just stays at the gate, hanging out with mom.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I am PRAYING she does not pull up that turf!!! As we all know, GSD's can destroy anything touted to be "fairly dog proof."

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that is nice! Can I ask what it cost you for the concrete and the kennel?
We also had our concrete guy do part of our existing back porch patio. My hubby is VERY DIY and great at it so he did all of the concrete framing, base rock, rebar, etc. The actual labor for the concrete was $600 but we bought the concrete plus all the above work. The guy that poured/finished the concrete charged $600. So...hard to say what it would have been had DH not done all of the base work.

DH also installed the K9 Grass, I just bought the grass from their corporate office and got their instructions for DIY. I am lucky DH is very OCD about doing neat work, he did a great job and we saved a LOT in labor.

The kennel was $1117.00 and those are two 8 ft. x 8 ft. covers that were $124.00 each...so $1365.00 for that.

I bought it here since they had the best price anywhere on this exact model:
Black Powdercoated Modular Wire Dog Kennels & Runs

·
Registered
41 Posts
That looks amazing. I could live in that lol. Would you mind if I save the pictures to use as a blue print for when we move to build something similar for our pup?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Very nice!!! :)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Are you putting up motorized shades? I am quite intrigued by your design and wondering how you will control the shades while you are at work. We will want something like this when we get to Colorado and where our land is, there is NO shade at all. Having motorized solar shades will be a requirement if we build a dog condo.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Are you putting up motorized shades? I am quite intrigued by your design and wondering how you will control the shades while you are at work. We will want something like this when we get to Colorado and where our land is, there is NO shade at all. Having motorized solar shades will be a requirement if we build a dog condo.
Not sure about the OP, but when we had our last dog in an outside kennel we just put tarp up on the sides to block the sun during the summer and wind during the winder, and it seemed to work out just fine. We only had to do one of the side + the back portion (as the position of the kennel prevented direct sun from one of the directions. We also did tarp on the top. The front portion of his kennel got sun, so if he ever wanted to sun himself, he could just walk up front, otherwise he could chill in the shade. I agree with one of the other posters though, a pool would be cool!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Love it! That is a great kennel. I can't see how she won't be happy there, lots of space, a house, shade, grass... super nice.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
thats really nice, but she looks like she needs a lawn chair or something:)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
That looks awesome! My dogs always want to be outside to watch the squirrels, I might have to set up this run for my dogs...They obviously do not enjoy being indoors for long hahaa

Your dog looks like they will have a great time.

Curious though, since I've never had a dog run. Does it have to be concreted? My dogs aren't diggers or escapees (we don't even fence them in but they stay on the property.) Couldn't I do this with a grassy, shaded area?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
very nice looking run!!! but my girl would only like it if there was a pool :p she told me to tell you to add a pool. :p
LMAO!!! I actually just went to Home Depot and Target to try and find one of those super tough hard plastic baby pools! They had none! Next stop is Toys R' Us...my sister said they have them there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish! Lol :D
I am going to buy the less dense shade screens that attach to the kennel with cords or zip ties.

I only need to buy one screen for the front (the panel next to the gate), and one screen for the long side that is not next to the house. That way, she will be shaded in the necessary places for the way the sunshine falls over our yard. At the same time though, it will still be light and not super dark in there. If I got reallllly dark shades, the kennel would get too dark IMO. The second kennel cover/roof arrived a few days ago and it's really shaded all day now until about 5:00-6:00ish.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
That looks awesome! My dogs always want to be outside to watch the squirrels, I might have to set up this run for my dogs...They obviously do not enjoy being indoors for long hahaa

Your dog looks like they will have a great time.

Curious though, since I've never had a dog run. Does it have to be concreted? My dogs aren't diggers or escapees (we don't even fence them in but they stay on the property.) Couldn't I do this with a grassy, shaded area?
Sure you could! I just needed a really permanent spot because I wanted to have great drainage, no chance of mud (Sasha is an indoor dog) and easy clean up. She also was murdering the lawn with her pee, so with the K9 grass, it does all of the above! Our yard is unfinished so there is a lot of dirt which means mud in winter. We wanted access from our back door out to the kennel without touching feet or paws to the dirt/mud. This is now also her designated potty area. No more dead front lawn. My DH about died when he saw the first dead spots appear from her peeing on the lawn. Itmadehim very motivated to get cracking on the kennel! Basically, our OCD was the reason for the concrete, LOL. We are a little nutty about our house being clean :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts