German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the following email about a 3 year old blind GSD in CT.
GSRNE can't help...we've got a waiting list already. Can you help?

203-886-8419
[email protected]
Middletown, CT

Sarge is a 90 pound neutered male Shepherd that has gotten SARDS (sudden accute retinal degenerative syndrome ) and has lost his sight. He is three years old and up to date on his shots. His owner is moving and needs to find him a home. Please help us find him one. He is good with kids, other dogs & people. He is playful, gentle and loves pats.

Sarge's owner tells us, "He is one adorable dog who loves to play "ball" and even with his sight problems he still plays using his ears to track the ball. In the house I have a tiny rubber tire he plays with. When he scratches himself he growls at himself and the sounds are really cute. When he is out and wants in he does NOT scratch your door, he does not bark, but he does howl and that is his signal to come in. He is excellent with kids....the first time my granddaughter saw him [and he her] she played ball with him and it was fine. He comes to you when you call him and loves to get his pats.

I do not think he needs a special person....if someone has a fenced yard he is just like a normal dog otherwise he would need to have you out with him or be on a leash. Once he learns the layout he gets around just fine but with a few bumps here and there. He takes Glucosamine Chondrotin for his joints which is a non-prescription pill and that is his only medication.

I am going to Wyoming on Dec 28th and without your help I have two options.....the humane society or.....put him to sleep. So any assistance would be appreciated more than you can imagine. Thanks again!

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
I was just coming here to post Sarge. This one really breaks my heart...........

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
The guy's note is really upsetting. I know it's typical but I'm so sick of hearing the "either you take the dog off of my hands or I will be forced to pts" stuff.

Can anyone help this dog? I wish I had a younger dog here to be his seeing eye dog!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Since I live across the country, I really can't help with fostering or adopting. But, I would be more than happy to donate money to help this sweet dog.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowThe guy's note is really upsetting. I know it's typical but I'm so sick of hearing the "either you take the dog off of my hands or I will be forced to pts" stuff.

Can anyone help this dog? I wish I had a younger dog here to be his seeing eye dog!
I could'nt agree more with you..Its really very sad..just throw the dog away we dont want to deal with it anymore...makes me sick..Poor baby he looks like a sweetheart

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
So hes moving to Wyoming, doesnt Wyoming accept dogs??
HOW IN THE WORLD CAN PEOPLE DO [email protected]!#!!

I hope poor Sarge gets a HOME, a real one this time.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do understand everyone's feelings on this. I also don't understand why people can't take their dogs...but the fact is that he is not going to or is unable to and Sarge needs help.

Please don't email him and slam him. He is reaching out for help at least instead of just dumping the dog...so he's ahead of some people.

I deal with intakes all the time and sometimes I just have to grit my teeth and do what's right for the dog.

·
Registered
740 Posts
This is sad...poor guy. He will be so confused going into a new home and trying to adapt to what he can't see. I hear the " take the dog or else" bit a hundred times over. Problem is they mean it, so what do you do? Help the dog. This one is "special".

·
Registered
740 Posts
Originally Posted By: HistorianI wonder whether they are actually moving or whether they want to be "rid" of the dog because of the SARDS?
I can not believe it is because the dog has SARDS. It must be because the state they are moving to does not allow GSD's...
( I love the " moving and the dog can't come story too! )

I just hope he gets a home that will keep him no matter what! They all deserve that. My 14 year old WGSD from Tn ( Gracie ) best dog in the world. She is no trouble at all. Have no idea why she was dumped in a shelter. I am just glad she will be here when she passes.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I despise the idea of people moving and leaving their dogs, but I have to say that I can sympathize more with that (especially since a lot of places specifically don't allow GSDs) than with dumping a dog because the dog is sick or injured.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I don't have much but I can make a donation to an approved rescue to help save him too-Please PM me. He's got my heart and I just read about him 20 seconds ago!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Stole my heart too - please email as I too would be more than happy and willing to donate to an approved rescue.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I crossposted. I know all of the rescues are full this time of year, but does anyone know of any blind dog rescues that we could try to e-mail?

By chance does anyone know of any online SARDS groups that we could crosspost in? I belong to a yahoo group for addison's disease and I know they allow crossposting of addison's disease dogs in there. Just a thought... I hope someone knows of one!

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I cross posted him on 2 blind dog lists... I hope this boy finds a new family for the holidays!

Blind dogs adapt MUCH easier than one would think!!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Kristi--

That's great! I am hoping that because he's special he will have an easier time, instead of harder time, finding a home. He only has 2 weeks though. His owner is very lucky he made it onto this list!

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I hope so too Ruth! If Layla weren't blind, I might not have adopted her... that is what drew me too her, so I think you are right.
The boards I posted him on are large communities of very great people... I hope he gets a chance! You can learn a ton from a blind dog!! They see with their hearts!!

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Chris - I'm moving this thread to Non-Urgent Rescue. Although I understand that the owner is threatening to dump the dog, the Urgent Rescue forum is for "dogs that are currently living in High Kill Shelters and need immediate rescue." Thank you.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts