German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for SAR training in Metro West Boston/Worcester MA area.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
What do you mean by "training?" Are you looking to join a team. If you do a google search of "search and rescue team massachusetts" there are lots of options to get you started.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by "training?" Are you looking to join a team. If you do a google search of "search and rescue team massachusetts" there are lots of options to get you started.
I am looking to get SAR training. If the dog (and I) succeed the goal would be to put it to use. If that means joining a team then so be it. I am just beginning to look into it.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Well, usually you contact teams...see if any are interested in possibly taking you on as a member...they evaluate your dog...you join...then get the training.

Most teams have seemed to have issues with new members and are fairly jaded, so do not necessarily expect it to be smooth sailing as far as joining. I'd think long and hard as to why you want to be involved in SAR and make sure you articulate that to any teams you contact.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, usually you contact teams...see if any are interested in possibly taking you on as a member...they evaluate your dog...you join...then get the training.

Most teams have seemed to have issues with new members and are fairly jaded, so do not necessarily expect it to be smooth sailing as far as joining. I'd think long and hard as to why you want to be involved in SAR and make sure you articulate that to any teams you contact.
Thanks for the input. I've done the long and hard thinking part and if the dog passes evaluation would be ready to proceed. If she doesn't then .... nothing ventured, nothing gained.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Thanks for the input. I've done the long and hard thinking part and if the dog passes evaluation would be ready to proceed. If she doesn't then .... nothing ventured, nothing gained.
And that is why most SAR teams are jaded. Most don't want people who are in it for the dog because those people don't stick - if the dog doesn't work out instead of staying and flanking, helping at IC or getting another dog they leave and waste a lot of everyone elses times. Easy to find good dogs; a lot harder to find the right people.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts