German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start working with my dog in sar just for fun. I’d like to just have a family member of mine go some where in the park and have my dog look for them.
If I want to work towards this would I start with tracking? I’ve seen videos with stomping out a square in the grass and then making a track or should I do something else? I’m just kind of wondering where I should start for this

·
Registered
853 Posts
I’m not sure “SAR” and “just for fun” go hand in hand, lol. I think you’re just thinking of general nose work, which can start out just as hide and seek in the house and then taking it into the yard or somewhere safe off leash.

The scent pads are for tracking, and generally for IGP style tracking where dedication to the track and moving methodically are far more important for points than they are for practicality.

I would just start teaching your dog hide and seek in the house and asking her to find treats you hide in a room if you’re thinking of doing fun games.

·
Premium Member
11,154 Posts
SAR is not something that is a "fun" activity or training regime,.....it is a serious, time intensive, lifestyle and should never be confused with games or a recreational pasttime. I have quite a few people with my pups who are SAR handlers and there is no real relationship between finding family members and the actual demands of SAR.

If you want to do something working with the dog's hunt drives or scenting ability, look into one of the scent or nosework activities....even these are very time and resource intensive. One of mine is at the Elite level of Nosework, another dog who is a multi certified narcotics dogs/champion FH dog does not do the nosework competitions due to different styles of training and handling that could cause conflicts in the dog's real work.

Have fun with your puppy!

Lee

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Does time and distance allow for you to attend a local IGP Club? Use keyword searches of IPO (former name) as well. Most club level training is affordable and you will most likely meet people who will show you how to set a track and get you going.

You're playing hide and seek, which is fun, with your dog. Personally I'd rather do nosework and trailing with my dog hobby wise, but I barely have time for IGP style tracking and I was told by people who know Nosework and SAR type stuff it is a much much larger time and $$ commitment.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
I do hobby "SAR" type work. Look for a Man-trailing club. Our instructor is a retired dog handler who does still keep up on the latest techniques for real SAR work and some of our members are interested in getting certified. Others of us doing it for the fun of solving puzzles with our dogs and hanging out with other dog people.

We started out with IPO tracking when my big-boy was working toward his BH. Aside from when we started trailing (hey, human, where are the articles I should have found by now....oh cool, the article is another human!) It hasn't seemed to be a problem with our dogs. IPO/ IGP nosework is very controlled so perhaps the structure of it might help you dog. Hard to say.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I do hobby "SAR" type work. Look for a Man-trailing club.
I wish I had a trailing club near me.

If I could train my dog to find a GOOD man, I'd definitely throw money at it lolol

·
Registered
284 Posts
I do hobby "SAR" type work. Look for a Man-trailing club.
I love this idea. I haven't heard of this type of club. Great suggestion!

For the OP: I also do a lot of nose dependent work with my dog. We started with schutzhund style tracking. I have been told by multiple sources that this style of track gives the dog a great foundation. We also do family member hide and seek, find it games with his favored toys and with the snow on the ground now, we do some light game/man tracking in the woods near our house.

I feel that my dog enjoys the toy find it games the most. He doesn't get as stressed as with family member hide and seek and his reward for find it is to play with his toy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts