German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't help myself. Sorry. Woot! We got our CARDA (California Rescue Dog Association) Avalanche cert last weekend. I know he is a dutch shep and some of you will wonder what the heck I'm doing posting this to a GSD site but what the hay. (We are hoping to cert another GSD in two weeks and we have an up and coming GSD who is a fabulous search dog... so there is that). Tygo did great. Got his quarry who was buried 4-5 feet under heavy wet snow. Wet is a factor here... hard for the scent to penetrate that kind of snow. But Dogs are amazing. I'll try to post an interesting video but I'm a bit challenged in that arena.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Hey congratulations!! Awesome job! Avy certs take alot of work.. Will you be on call through CARDA or the ski resort(s) in your area?

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Congrats! Thats awesome!!!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
We are not a ski resort team. So if a call out comes through CARDA it will be really a body recovery in the backcountry or with my county. We have high altitude snow country in my county so we could be doing the same thing. Next year I may join another local/regional team that aims to get to any avalanche within 20 minutes. It is made up of many of the ski area patrol dogs and has relationships with CareFlight for transport... kind of interesting regional team.

One interesting note is that there are two CARDAs. One is my organization, California Rescue Dog Association, a state wide group that has air scent, trailing, HRD, and Water and avy dogs. CARDA, Canadian Avalanche Rescue Dog Association, is the organization that certifies many of the ski area dogs around here. They have a more rigorous certifying tests. Many of the US ski areas use their process to certify their avy dogs.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
A big huge congratulations to you .

I had two dogs that certified (RCMP) avalanche search dogs used in British Columbia . ]

did you have training for air drops to the site?

tell us about the GSD that is your next prospect !

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Carmen.

Our avalanche cert requires a rappel but not an air drop. While I have done helicopter transports and repelled out of 4 story building with Tygo I have not done an air drop. I can see that being needed in Canada though especially in BC ranging into the backcountry ski cabins.

The GSDs are not mine. They are on our team. Actually 3 but one is trailing and will add avalanche to that. No next prospect for me until Tygo hits 9ish. He will be 4 in May.

One of the GSDs on our team...or soon to be... is an amazing search dog is from german showiness... haha that was autocorrect...showlines.. He has searching in his blood and bones. Lots of GSDs in California CARDA.

Kind of excited in May I have two teams coming to our avy training that have trained in Canada (one certified CARDA Canada). Will be cool to see what they are doing.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Congratulations! That is awesome! A lot of hard work went into that and no matter the breed, what a wonderful accomplishment!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congratulations Karin, that's awesome!
Did you do that through carda or one of the local ski patrols?
I certified with California CARDA. You can do it too!!!! Can't cert until you are MR. But you can train with us before MR.

Most of the ski areas here cert through Canadian CARDA. That is quickly becoming the standard. It is more rigorous. I hear those Canadians will very clearly and concisely throw out teams that don't meet their high standards. Makes sense. Ski area dogs will be the front line in an avy having the greatest probability to find a live person. I would be coming in if called to do body recovery. That was the case with the recent avy death at Mt. Rose. The area dogs are in first. One of our CARDA dogs went the second day. All dogs showing interest in one general area but no pin point. Probing took some time but I believe they found the guy in the general area but something like 7 feet down. Scent was dispersing widely though the snow pack.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Avalanche dogs are actually on their way out... the Canadians are always the front runners. Here is the amazing new approach out of Canada now. Hats off to them but it will put Tygo out of a job. Must see for anyone interested in this type of SAR work. Only the Canadians is all I have to say.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I certified with California CARDA. You can do it too!!!! Can't cert until you are MR. But you can train with us before MR.

Most of the ski areas here cert through Canadian CARDA. That is quickly becoming the standard. It is more rigorous. I hear those Canadians will very clearly and concisely throw out teams that don't meet their high standards. Makes sense. Ski area dogs will be the front line in an avy having the greatest probability to find a live person. I would be coming in if called to do body recovery. That was the case with the recent avy death at Mt. Rose. The area dogs are in first. One of our CARDA dogs went the second day. All dogs showing interest in one general area but no pin point. Probing took some time but I believe they found the guy in the general area but something like 7 feet down. Scent was dispersing widely though the snow pack.
Tygo doesn't sink in deep snow? Yana kind of does. We were up there 2 weeks ago.
Not sure how a trailing team would be applicable in an avalanche? I don't think we'll be doing cadaver. When I patrolled at Squaw all the avy rescue dogs were Goldens. Anyway that's awesome for you! This is certainly the year for it.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I'd love to look at the pedigrees of any "exceptional" performance dogs .

that includes the showline dogs,

one of the ones I had mid 80's ? (wow time flies) was a combination of my base (Marko x Lierberg) and Ary Kleinen Taller
Ary vom kleinen Taller

you know back in the day when the dogs were bred for utility and versatility.

I'll see if I can find one of the pictures sent to me . The picture shows the dog in harness dangling from the helicopter ready to be dropped. This dog was chosen for speed and accuracy - live find .

this is why certifying for avalanche is such a huge accomplishment. Time is of the essence.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Carmen, I will try to find out the pedigree of the dog I mentioned. See if I can find any others for you. I know we used to have an exceptional dog on the team that was a Truhaus dog. They have left the area I don't know the pedigree. May be able to find that one though.

Peter, we will be training next month with one of the squaw dogs, a golden recently CARDA Canadian certified. The handler is on my county team. Squaw requires all their dogs to be Canadian CARDA now. Squaw also has a malinois now and some border collies and I believe a Swiss Shepherd... a longhaired black shepherd. But of course lots of Goldens still.

Trailing dogs do fine as avy dogs... it is a separate game so they are not trailing they are avy dogs. Tygo is not doing his normal area searching when he is working snow. He gets a different command and he is nose to the snow, checking tree wells and working the surface. He knows it is under there. The trailing dog we have training with us is doing well.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Congratulations! Dutch Shepherds are beautiful and smart dogs.
You both are so brave to train in the snow like that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts